What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad user here and driven demented!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BALDYMONSTER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, after spilling a pint of water all over my prized Toshiba laptop I decided to get one of these here iPads

Now, due to my business requiring me to do a lot of deliveries and on the spot sales I am having a nightmare finding software that is compatible with Microsoft word/excel/ spreadsheet etc.

I have emailed all my trade and rep price lists that I had stored on pen drive to my email which is set up on here but quite simply they will not open? How can I open and save them to my desktop?

Additionally, I need to be able to print off invoices and price lists to my HP C4580 wireless printer as well, but tried all the apps but getting nowhere. :(

Basically I need my ipad to be as "business/office friendly" as possible, especially as I have a new unit opening in two weeks so I am panicking a touch. ;)

I'm sure there is a very simple solution to all this but having used Microsoft everything for years, apart from my beloved iPhone I'm kind of lost and would appreciate any help at all if possible.

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Pages is Word equivalent, Numbers for Excel and Keynote for PowerPoint. All three apps open their MS equivalent files. You save the documents within the apps themselves, using folders if desired, and from the apps you can also wireless prints, email as PDFs etc.

As far as I'm aware, you can't save a document to the desktop as the iPad doesn't really have a desktop like a pc does. It is all stored within the app. I yearn for Apple to introduce a file/subfolder/folder system but as yet you are limited to creating only folders.

Jockscrap

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just reread your post and see you have an iPhone too. These apps are compatible with the iPhone and you can easily sync Pages, Number and Keynote documents between devices via the iCloud. Make sure you have Documents and Data turned on to sync in the iCloud settings on both devices. This is a GREAT feature!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I like iWorks, but if the OP needs to maintain the ability to constantly switch from a computer using Office Suite, and co-worker use Office Suite, then it is a bad choice. iWorks isn't so much compatible with Office as it is capable of converting documents to and from Office. This works very nicely when you only move the documents once, but if you keep moving the same documents back and forth they tend to accumulate errors.

A better choice would be a combination of DropBox, Box (or some other good cloud service) and one of the Office compatible suites that don't actually convert the document type. QuickOffice, Office HD, and Documents to Go are among the more popular. They do not allow for editing all the features in a document, but what they won't edit the generally leave alone.

If a fast internet connection can be guaranteed at least most of the time, then OnLive and CloudOn should also be considered. These run actual version of Microsoft Office on remote serves. The interface is less than optimal, and can be slow, but you get near 100% compatibility.

If you are already an Office 365 user, then Microsoft has it's own suite of iPad apps. They don't offer a lot of features, but they are fully compatible.

For forms and invoices, you might look at FormConnect.

Or if you already have PDF forms Adobe Reader will fill them out, and is free. I use PDF Expert, and like it. There are several other good PDF annotation apps that can do this.

Now the disclaimer: I don't do business on my iPad, and most of the apps I mentioned I'm recommending second hand. I suggest you do some research on each, and others that you can find in the App Store. Also, hopefully some of the more business oriented members here will chime in.

OP
BALDYMONSTER

BALDYMONSTER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys that's been really helpful, I have saved all my work price sheets and price lists to Dropbox.

Next problem is being able to connect to my wireless printer to enable me to print things out?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys that's been really helpful, I have saved all my work price sheets and price lists to Dropbox. Next problem is being able to connect to my wireless printer to enable me to print things out?
Have you tried HP ePrint app?

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The ideal solution for printing is to use AirPrint unfortunately your printer due to its age does not support AirPrint so you may have to bite the bullet and purchase a new printer

I use quick sale app for iPad great for quoting and invoicing It is well supported simple to use and generates PDF invoices plus reports

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Downloaded this app, but it can't seem to find my printer? Any ideas?
Both (iPad and printer) are connected to the same Wi-Fi?
The printer has to be turned on, sometimes it's possible that you have to wait a little (1 or 2 minutes) until the iPad detects the printer.
It's possible that your printer isn't supported by the app. Then it would be the best solution to get an airprint printer, as col.bris already told you.

Gtatler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Office HD and Quick Office both good, especially the former. Both compatible with Microsoft documents. I use Office HD all the time.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

OP
BALDYMONSTER

BALDYMONSTER

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Office HD and Quick Office both good, especially the former. Both compatible with Microsoft documents. I use Office HD all the time. Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Download link?

Please. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions