What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad -- Problems with Presenting Text in Online Magazines?

AutoTraveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This morning, on mashable.comhttp://mashable.com/2012/03/26/maga...566957e560-_nb_DB_03-26-2012&utm_medium=email, there was an article on Why Do Magazines look So Terrible on the New iPad.

I publish an online-only magazine, Automotive Traveler, which is browser-based rather than an app. While I have an iPad 2, and Automotive Traveler looks fine in Safari and Terra, I wanted to see if anyone who already has a New iPad, if they would take some screen captures for me of these URLs

cover image

text intensive image with white background

text-intensive image with grey background

page with full-page image (minor tone mapping)

and E-mail them to me? I am concerned if with our browser-based approach, if we are going to have resolution problems with both text and images that seem to be an issue with apps.

If you can help, please show me your screen captures along with any comments you might have with the way we are presenting magazine-style content. Our layouts are designed for both iPads as well as laptops/netbooks/desktop computers and while not optimized for smaller screen iPhones and smartphones, our readers say that our presentation works surprising well on these devices.

Richard Truesdell
Editorial Director

[Moderator edit: This post has been edited in accordance with forum rules. Please, no email addresses. Fellow members, if you decide to assist, please PM the request or or post the screen shots in this thread. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have never had luck doing screen captures on my IPad, but I can tell you the images look beautiful and very clear to my almost 60 year-old eyes. I am using the IPad 3rd Gen.

Sent from my IPad 3rd Generation 64 GB LTE Black :)

Yakuzagang5

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Images look very good, and the text looks fine. The only thing I can think of is that because it isn't HTML text, it's essentially a picture of text, so it is closer in resolution to the previous iPads and is up scaling the image for the increased resolution. That's my guess

OP
A

AutoTraveler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Possibly screen capture is not the correct term. On my iPad 2 I can take a photo of a browser screen by pressing the black on/off button on the side of the unit at the same time as the back button on the face of the unit. This results in the iPad taking a photo of the screen and saving it to my Photos folder, from where I can E-mail the image. If you do this, can you send me the image?

[Moderator edit: Removed link for personal e-mail address. Please read the rules. Thanks.]

Last edited by a moderator:

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AutoTraveler said:
Possibly screen capture is not the correct term. On my iPad 2 I can take a photo of a browser screen by pressing the black on/off button on the side of the unit at the same time as the back button on the face of the unit. This results in the iPad taking a photo of the screen and saving it to my Photos folder, from where I can E-mail the image. If you do this, can you E-mail me the image?

I'll try it again at the end of the day - if somebody else doesn't do it first. Thank you.

Sent from my IPad 3rd Generation 64 GB LTE Black :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is what I get.

Attachments

• image-4272896791.jpg
    image-4272896791.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 347
  • image-3265185559.jpg
    image-3265185559.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 347

Most reactions