What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad photos

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New to the iPad and photos a little different than iPhone.
When I open "photos" have headings at top for "photos, photo stream, albums". Looks like everything that shows on "photos" also shows under "albums" in "camera roll". Why and is that taking up twice the space??

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's only one copy of each photo. When you see them in multiple albums, they're just links to the one copy, so there's no extra storage being taken up.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is great thanks. But what is difference between photos and camera roll?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What firmware version are you on? I don't have Camera Roll since I upgraded to iOS 5.1. I have Photos, Photo Stream, Albums, Events and Places on iPad 2. On iPad 1, I have Photos, Photo Stream, Albums and Places.

From what I recall, Camera Roll became Photos on iPad 2 after upgrading to iOS 5.1.

Adding: I still have Camera Roll on iPhone 4S. If that's what you're asking, I think Camera Roll on iPhone is the equivalent of Photos on iPad.

Last edited:
OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Talking about iPad 3.
Yes I have same headings at top. Photos, photo steam, and albums. But under albums I have camera roll as an album. The pics in camera roll are same as in "photos".

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Talking about iPad 3.
Yes I have same headings at top. Photos, photo steam, and albums. But under albums I have camera roll as an album. The pics in camera roll are same as in "photos".

Did you maybe create an album called Camera Roll at some point and synch it to your iPad or iPhone? Otherwise, don't know why you have Camera Roll as an album. Maybe someone with a new iPad will come along and answer.

OP
A

azonie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wonder if it could have anything to do with iCloud sync with iPhone.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this your first iPad and did you set it up as a restore from your iPhone backup on your computer? If so, it has just taken the camera roll from your iPhone and added that as an album on your iPad since the camera roll does not appear natively on the iPad.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Found this in the user guide - Photos and videos that you receive, or that you save from a webpage, are saved to your Camera Roll album (or to Saved Photos, on an iPad with no camera).

ladynikon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
unless you use iphoto. Then you will have two folders.. one folder for originals and the other folder for edited material.

MrIpad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlexisW said:
Can you delete photos with iPhoto?

Only do this if you do not want the edit version of the photo because it will delete and you can not get it back. On the lower right corner tap on the button that looks like a gear and then select revert to original. You now only have the original photo and the edited one is gone forever.

Most reactions

Latest posts