What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad owner

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I walked into the apple store today and they happened to have a white 64 gb on Verizon. I picked it up along with the smart case. Now I need to figure out what to load I with.

First off, the smart cover stinks. I'm taking it back. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it doesn't stay on at all. I can't keep it in place.

My original reason for purchasing it was to take the place of my laptop for normal daily use (browsing, email, etc). It seems to handle that well, but I'm not thrilled with the web browser or email client. Is there something better out there? What does everyone else use?

Also, it seems the iMovie app is different than what's on the MacBook? I haven't tried it yet, but I was hoping to use this for quick editing of my skydiving videos. I saw another post that said it wont work for many other video types.

I think I'll like it and find it useful. Any apps, browsers, email clients, or other additions I should know about as a first-time tablet owner?

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Martlet said:
I walked into the apple store today and they happened to have a white 64 gb on Verizon. I picked it up along with the smart case. Now I need to figure out what to load I with.

First off, the smart cover stinks. I'm taking it back. Maybe I just got a bad one, but it doesn't stay on at all. I can't keep it in place.

My original reason for purchasing it was to take the place of my laptop for normal daily use (browsing, email, etc). It seems to handle that well, but I'm not thrilled with the web browser or email client. Is there something better out there? What does everyone else use?

Also, it seems the iMovie app is different than what's on the MacBook? I haven't tried it yet, but I was hoping to use this for quick editing of my skydiving videos. I saw another post that said it wont work for many other video types.

I think I'll like it and find it useful. Any apps, browsers, email clients, or other additions I should know about as a first-time tablet owner?

iMovie is a much cut down version of the full Mac programme.

I would suggest two things to start you off on apps, download Appstart from the app store, it's free and provides tips and tricks along with lists of top apps for most situations, both paid and free. Secondly a few searches on this forum will find you some threads with app lists suggested by the members of the forum........and these guys and girls know their stuff.....what they don't know you can write on a xoom!

There are alternative browsers and mail clients available in the app store, I can't help you with those though as I actually like the Apple ones but Appstart will give you some guidance on this.

Anyway, great choice......have fun.

The Archangel

OP
Martlet

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good call on the appstart. That's a big help.

OP
Martlet

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't. I was going to try it, but I remember seeing someone mention something they liked better. I can remember the name of it.

I'll I've atomic a try if I can't find the other.

Thanks.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Icab browser is great. My fav. Use to be Atomic but icab has it beat, even with atomic's new updates. Also try out Reel Director app for editing video. Way more user friendly and has more transitions and plays various formats

Tarkio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Make sure you're attaching the smart case on the correct side of the iPad (landscape with the home button on the left, smart case attaches on the top.). Unless your case is defective the case will attach to the iPad VERY securely.

OP
Martlet

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tarkio said:
Make sure you're attaching the smart case on the correct side of the iPad (landscape with the home button on the left, smart case attaches on the top.). Unless your case is defective the case will attach to the iPad VERY securely.

That's how I'm attaching it. Either it's defective or I'm an idiot. Either way, it's not working. It just doesn't attach firmly and moving the iPad even slightly causes it to fall off.

OP
Martlet

Martlet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
realistdreamer said:
take it back and make them attach it for you.

I took it to the apple store and they couldn't get it to work either. Apparently the magnets in my iPad don't work, so they gave me a new one.

Works great now, but I didn't sync my iPad after setting it up so I'm back to the drawing board. I won't make that mistake again.

Most reactions

Latest posts