What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad Can't Be Unlocked After Locking, Stays On The Black Screen!

JohnTerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey! What's up?

There is a problem with the new iPad. Everytime you lock it(pressing the sleep button) or it locks by itself, it's pretty impossible to unlock it. It just stays on the black screen. When you connect it to iTunes, it seems to be on, since iTunes recognizes it. By the way, the hard reset doesn't seem to work either. Whenever you press and hold Home/Sleep buttons, nothing happens(sometimes it restarts, but most it doesn't). When you connect it to a charger it makes a periodic sound(when it's on the black screen after it's locked and can't be unlocked). Already tried restore, didn't help.

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance!

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi John-have you tried to check your settings? Check to see how long your auto lock setting is set for. I am not sure if this is your problem,but let's start there. Go to settings/general/auto lock. See how long it is set for. Maybe set it for 5 minutes, if it is currently set for 2 minutes.

Give that a try and let us know.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If it is impossible to unlock, how are you getting back into it?

OP
J

JohnTerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it is impossible to unlock, how are you getting back into it?

Sometimes the hard reset works. Like it did about an hour ago. You can use it normally, as long you don't lock it, because you are running a risk of not unlocking it...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sometimes the hard reset works. Like it did about an hour ago. You can use it normally, as long you don't lock it, because you are running a risk of not unlocking it...

I sure would disable autolock next time I got back in....then I would take it to the apple store.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I would have to agree here with Aq-oc. This does not seem normal function for the iPad. It would also be helpful for you to actually show them the problem, because, I am not really sure what is happening here.

Good luck and let us know.

OP
J

JohnTerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In the autolock option it's set to 2 minutes.

Here is what happening when there is the "unlock problem"
1. The functional iPad is locked(using the sleep button or autolock)
2. When trying to unlock it, by pressing the sleep button, it doesn't do anything(black screen).
3. Pressing home + sleep (hard reset) does nothing
4. When connected to charger/usb in that state, it produces a constant and periodic sound.

How to unlock it:
1. Sometimes holding home + sleep, does the hard reset and it restarts(apple logo appears).

NOTE:
1. When in black screen, iTunes detects it, files can be synced.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am confused. When you press the home button a slide lock should appear to unlock it. Do you see this and sliding to unlock it?

OP
J

JohnTerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am confused. When you press the home button a slide lock should appear to unlock it. Do you see this and sliding to unlock it?
Most of the time there is no unlock slider, when the sleep button in pressed, nothing happens, the screen remains black.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have you done anything or downloaded an app for this to start happening? Did you jail break your device?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
JohnTerry said:
In the autolock option it's set to 2 minutes.

Here is what happening when there is the "unlock problem"
1. The functional iPad is locked(using the sleep button or autolock)
2. When trying to unlock it, by pressing the sleep button, it doesn't do anything(black screen).
3. Pressing home + sleep (hard reset) does nothing
4. When connected to charger/usb in that state, it produces a constant and periodic sound.

How to unlock it:
1. Sometimes holding home + sleep, does the hard reset and it restarts(apple logo appears).

NOTE:
1. When in black screen, iTunes detects it, files can be synced.

Have you considered setting auto lock to never rather than 2 minutes until the problem is identified and corrected?

OP
J

JohnTerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you done anything or downloaded an app for this to start happening? Did you jail break your device?
The device is not jailbroken.

Even if the app was the problem, the iPad was restored in iTunes, the only third-party app installed there now is Skype, if I'm not wrong.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well just wanted to check all bases. I'd recommend what we stated before. Make an appointment with an apple genius and have them take a look at it. Be sure to have your data on your iPad backed up before going. They may swap it out with a new iPad.

OP
J

JohnTerry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well just wanted to check all bases. I'd recommend what we stated before. Make an appointment with an apple genius and have them take a look at it. Be sure to have your data on your iPad backed up before going. They may swap it out with a new iPad.

Well, there are not many Apple Bars in Europe... Already called the apple care, they told me to call the hardware section on Monday.

Thanks for the help :)

freddmc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had a similar problem on my iphone where the slider was unresponsive. What I found the problem to be was that I had gone into settings and selected a larger font for prinitng on the screen. Once I turned that off the problem went away. Not sure if the ipad has the same selection in settings though but it does have the same OS.
Regards

Fred

Most reactions

Latest posts