What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad Book Features Sign Language for Deaf Children

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score

A new iPad version of the popular children’s book Danny the Dragon Meets Jimmy has just been released by publishers iStoryTime, complete with a very interesting innovation built in, according to the New York Times’ Gadgetwise blog. The book app comes in three different versions – one that a child can read to itself, one that can be read to it, and one that also features a QuickTime video of a woman signing out the words of the story for deaf children. The video is viewed in a window to the side of the book view, which has been slightly reduced to accommodate the extra video insert. You can get an idea of how its done in the picture above.

Sounds like a really great idea, and yet another example of how the iPad’s technology can be used to help people as well as to provide entertainment. It could also be an excellent way to familiarise your children with sign language, even if they’re not deaf.

Danny the Dragon Meets Jimmy is available to download now from the iPad App Store for $2.99/Ă‚ÂŁ1.79.

Source: New York Times

Last edited:

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
VERY cool. I'm interested in teaching my kids sign language, plus a good book? awesoime.

One question I have - is there any reason you don't link to apps in the news items? I know it's not impossible to go and do a search, but it would make so much more sense to just in-line link the application/etc.

OP
M

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Very good point! I've put a link in now and I'll be putting in links from now on for all other apps. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts