What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad arrived...Tips on what to do first?

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First off I am VERY new to iPad & iOS...I am a huge Android guy & bought the iPad mainly for work (I'm a teacher) and for audio recording (I play guitar). I've already downloaded Garageband. What are some tips on things I should do first? What settings are optimal? Any suggestions on MUST HAVE apps (besides the usual Facebook, Twitter, etc)...

Thanks

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
First things first, get some protection. No really, consider a sturdy/functional case and maybe a screen protector. Anything else that if up to you.

Already got it! :) It arrived today as well! 'm thinking more along the lines of settings & apps...I'm still not sure if I will jailbreak it yet. Usually with Android devices they are rooted within an hour of me getting them. I'm not sure if I will right away with the iPad...I still need to research it more to see if the benefits outweigh the negatives

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Welcome! One of the big things right now about the ipad is it's IOS 5. It has many features that have been uncovered by our members here. This is an informative thread to bring you up to speed about the new functions that the IOS 5 or later provides. See the link: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html

A
lso, another way to learn all about your ipad is to download the free iPad User Guide Manual iOS 5: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

H
ope that helps you! As for the protection, Junior is right. Make sure you have your device protected. Too many posts here about cracked screens soon after purchase.

Best wishes.

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikespe said:
First off I am VERY new to iPad & iOS...I am a huge Android guy & bought the iPad mainly for work (I'm a teacher) and for audio recording (I play guitar). I've already downloaded Garageband. What are some tips on things I should do first? What settings are optimal? Any suggestions on MUST HAVE apps (besides the usual Facebook, Twitter, etc)...

Thanks

Jailbreak it.

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

HowBoutThemPack

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mikespe said:

Thanks

Must have apps for a teacher...keynote, pages, numbers. Depending on which subject, the howstuffworks app (howstuffworks.com).

Sent from my jailbroken iPad2 using iPF

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK...I got Tapatalk, Dropbox, Penultimate, Time Warner app, My Pad, iDocs, and of course Words with Friends HD...I should look at my Acer Iconia A500 Android tab to see what's there...

Thanks for the User's manual & iOS Tips site!

Anymore would be GREATLY appreciated!

MrIpad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quickoffice HD is a great app, it plays very well with Dropbox and other cloud services. Let's you view and edit Microsoft office files etc.

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Quickoffice HD is a great app, it plays very well with Dropbox and other cloud services. Let's you view and edit Microsoft office files etc.

I was looking at that app. I have it on my Android Tab & love it. But it's a bit more expensive in iTunes (I think I got it on sale for $7 a few months ago in the Android Market...

MrIpad1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes.......it is expensive but it is a must have in my book. It does go on sale from time to time but not very often.

3DWS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.3dwallpaperstudio.com
Hi Mike,

Welcome! One of the big things right now about the ipad is it's IOS 5. It has many features that have been uncovered by our members here. This is an informative thread to bring you up to speed about the new functions that the IOS 5 or later provides. See the link: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html

A
lso, another way to learn all about your ipad is to download the free iPad User Guide Manual iOS 5: http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

H
ope that helps you! As for the protection, Junior is right. Make sure you have your device protected. Too many posts here about cracked screens soon after purchase.

Best wishes.

Thanks this information/links is also a great help for me!

seanbrecke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some good apps to have in my opinion

1) all apple apps - keynote, pages, numbers, iMovie, GarageBand, ibooks all of them are just amazing.
2) drawing/editing apps - if you want these, - I love skitch, snapseed, art set procreate
3) writing apps - notability, ia writer is great for SA's.
btw, iBooks has many tutorials on ios5, iPad, how to use it to study, and even at work!
Some other cool apps are solar walk, wolfram alpha.

You might just want to get the basics, I.e. flashlight, USB disk, nice clock, maybe a calculator, and some social. Media apps if you want.

Hope my 2 year experiences helps!

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some good apps to have in my opinion

1) all apple apps - keynote, pages, numbers, iMovie, GarageBand, ibooks all of them are just amazing.
2) drawing/editing apps - if you want these, - I love skitch, snapseed, art set procreate
3) writing apps - notability, ia writer is great for SA's.
btw, iBooks has many tutorials on ios5, iPad, how to use it to study, and even at work!
Some other cool apps are solar walk, wolfram alpha.

You might just want to get the basics, I.e. flashlight, USB disk, nice clock, maybe a calculator, and some social. Media apps if you want.

Hope my 2 year experiences helps!

Hey Thank You! That's an awesome list! One question though. What makes the Apple Word processing etc apps better than say Docs to go? It would be cheaper to get docs to go & still do the same thing...or do the apple apps do more? As for USB Disk did you mean the camera kit because I have that on the way? I'll check out the other apps & books you mentioned. Thank You!

JustinOhio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned CloudOn yet! It does docs, spreadsheets and power points, all from your dropbox account... Runs just like ms office, and it's free!

OP
M

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I checked out CloudON...It looked pretty cool! A coworker also suggested Logmein and that one is cool! Now I can help my Mom with her computer while I am living an hour away! I also got GuitarToolkit 2.0 which is awesome...bit pricey but it does so much!

What are some more must have or just Too Cool apps to get? Thanks again!

Most reactions

Latest posts