What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 2

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got it. In my contacts I have 3 address that combined have over 1000 duplicates . I tried every thing I know and can't get them off. Took it to the Apple Store a new they fiddled with it and got it fixed. Got home opened the iPad and they are all back. Me email account is Outlook. Any suggestions out there?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Do you have the ability to access the contacts in a web browser? If so, turn off the account on the iPad (deleting the contacts when prompted), then go to the website and clean things up there. Add the contacts account back to the iPad.

If you have other devices that use the same account, check them first to make sure the same problem hasn't du0plicarted to them.

Oh, and if you are using iTunes on a computer to sync your contacts, I highly recommend you don't. If you're syncing more than one device and computer iTunes can easily get looped into creating duplicates.

OP
Ibill

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I deleted all the duplicateaccounts on my on lap top and it all worked well until I got up in the morning and duplicates were back on the iPad. I'm assuming iCloud put them back on when it did a back up. Dose just turnin off the contacts in pad delete them from iPad and iCloud?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Turning off Contacts on the iPad only deletes them from the iPad.

I guess I wasn't clear. I meant for you to turn off Contacts on the iPad, and the laptop (and any other device that syncs to the icloud account), then delete the extras via a web browser. In this case, at icloud.com.

Once you are sure everything is correct at icloud.com, then turn the contacts back on for the devices and laptop.

The idea is to get down to a single source, clean up that source, then reload to all the synced devices. You could do the same cleaning up the laptop, but it's a bit of a pain to completely erase the iCloud contact database.

Keep in mind it is very important to go to icloud.com first and make sure that database is complete before erasing your contacts from everywhere else.

OP
Ibill

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got every thing working. Didn't turn off my other iPad and iPhone.
I go to iCloud and when I click contacts it doesn't show any thing??
Did I miss a step again?

OP
Ibill

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, I'm thinking my contacts on Outlook is supplying the contacts for my iPad and guessing backing them up is not a big deal.
When I open iCloud there is no selection shown for contacts like the down load shows. I reinstalled iCloud and when I first open it the 4 selections show for a second but then it opens with 3 selections and no contacts show up. Really confused about that.

Most reactions

Latest posts