What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New IPAD 2 problem (Shuts down automatically ext.)

arno111

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there.

I bought a new IPAD 2. It has a few problems that I need help with.

First of all when I connect it to the power it turns on but when I remove it from the power it turns off automatically and sometimes even when its on the power it also turns off automatically. And when I plug it into my PC my computer and Itunes doenst pick up the Ipad so I havent been able to activate it. Tried resetting it but now when I put it on the power it only shows the apple sign and doesnt go into the setup as it did before.

Any help please!!

b00bie

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi
The iPad is set to auto shutdown to save battery life, the length of time is adjustable in settings. If your iPad came with iOS 5 installed you must be on iTunes version 10.5 for the pad to be recognized properly. Also, I have had people o older XP computers have trouble with proper recognition and had to reboot thier computers.

GingerKoKo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope it is okay to post here. This is the only link which discusses auto shutdown that I can find. I have an older iPad3 and it used to shut itself off after a bit of inactivity but it doesn't any longer. I have been all through settings and I cannot find where to set this feature. IIRC, I used to be able to adjust this (but maybe I'm thinking of my MBPs). It is listed as IOS 8.1.1.

Can someone help me please? I need to give this iPad to my mother who is 90 and has Alzheimer's and buy a new iPad for me. But if it does not shut off, she'll forget and run the batteries down too much. She likes playing solitaire and this will be her Christmas gift! Thank you for listening. :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

You set the time when it locks in Settings - General - Auto-Lock:
image.jpg

Tap this to select here:
image.jpg

Hope that helps.

GingerKoKo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh bless you!!! I turned that off because my mom would get confused if she got locked out! There it is! YOU ROCK!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts