What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 2 crashing

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had my new iPad 2 since 3 pm today, been using it the past couple of hours and it is now crashing after a few minutes of using an App. Different Apps and also in Safari. Using my home Wi-Fi, and connecting doesn't seem to be a problem. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or what? Thanks.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidinvirginia said:
Had my new iPad 2 since 3 pm today, been using it the past couple of hours and it is now crashing after a few minutes of using an App. Different Apps and also in Safari. Using my home Wi-Fi, and connecting doesn't seem to be a problem. Am I missing a setting somewhere? Or what? Thanks.

Try out lots of apps did ya?

Double tap the home button.

Behold the background apps task bar.

Long tap any icon until it wobbles and exhibits a red minus sign, release

Now tap every red minus sign to remove program from RAM.

Tap home button to escape

Restart the iPad by holding power button until slider appears. Push slider power down. Restart....resume activities.

OP
D

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks. Did that. Looks like each app I tried (lots of them as you said) including "Settings, were in that scroll across the bottom. Is this something that should be done on a regular basis, or just when crashing starts? I realize that the iPad 2 has limited memory and that could be a problem if the apps are still using memory after closing them

OP
D

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Talking Ben" was left on my iPad. Did that for a couple of minutes. Closed that and iPad had not crashed. Then played a game that I had left on the iPad. Crashed after about 3 minutes. Wondering if I should start over with setting up the iPad. And if so, how do I do that?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would. It will be easy since you just got it. Just go into settings and you will find an option for restoring back to factory settings. Then you can set it up again via iTunes.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear.

Unsure what fubarred you yesterday but you should not be hesitant to install any app from the app store.

Happy hunting!

OP
D

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Took the iPad on its first field trip today to Barnes & Noble. Couldn't connect to their wi-fi, couldn't get to the agreement page. Then when I started working with the iPad, the crashes reappeared. Couldn't work for more than a minute with any one app. Did the above routine again, but kept getting crashes. When I came home, my iPad chimed and it was the USA Today app pushing a headline. When it worked earlier today, it was still hooked up to my Macbook. Starting to get frustrating. Is is related to being a refurb? Is there some setting I am missing? Back to the drawing board?

Last edited:

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidinvirginia said:
Took the iPad on its first field trip today to Barnes & Noble. Couldn't connect to their wi-fi, couldn't get to the agreement page. Then when I started working with the iPad, the crashes reappeared. Couldn't work for more than a minute with any one app. Did the above routine again, but kept getting crashes. When I came home, my iPad chimed and it was the USA Today app pushing a headline. When it worked earlier today, it was still hooked up to my Macbook. Starting to get frustrating. Is is related to being a refurb? Is there some setting I am missing? Back to the drawing board?

Check date and time settings for accuracy.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidinvirginia said:
Both ok (May 1, 4:57 as I type this). Trying it now connected to my Macbook. About 5 minutes of use before crashing.

What if any apps did you load after wiping the iPad?

You are running version 5.1?

OP
D

davidinvirginia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's an Apple refurb from the Apple Store. Since I returned home and have been using it (still connected to my Macbook), I haven't had the crashes. I installed an App called System Activity Monitor which shows how much memory is going to what. It shows I am not using that much memory. Don't know if (or how), this App works, but if it does help, then it was a worthwhile $.99. The next test will be to disconnect it from the Macbook and see how it does. It has been an interesting first day.

Most reactions

Latest posts