What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Apple Smartcover

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple has added a new Smartcover to its stores today. For $50, you can get a Smartcover with the back cover provided.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's nice but overpriced IMHO. This Smart Case should have been in the $30-$40 range while the Smart Cover in the $20-$30 range.
MD458_AV5_BLACK

MD458_AV6_WHITE

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Beyond the price, this case suffers from a keyboard angle that is too shallow (IMO) and in stand mode it is not the most stable thing around (again, IMO). If they used 3 panels on the folding cover rather than 4 it might be better on both counts.

applechick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Breezer23 said:
I bought one today and plan on returning it tomorrow. Very loose fit.

Oh no I ordered one online and had it engraved. I hope it fits ok. Question- is it one piece or two?

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the Targus slim case and am very satisfied with it. While the front cover is not as easily "hooked" into the flap at the back to use it as a stand as unrolling the smart cover, I like the feel of it and it really does retain mostly the thinness of the iPad while adding a hardshell back and a magnetic front. The material is not leather but a textured fabric of sorts, that I prefer the to plastic feel of the smart cover.

One thing I don't like about the smart cover case is that the lock button and volume controls don't have cutouts but rather use raised portions on the case.

Anyway, my point is that if you are looking for an alternative to this one, maybe test drive the Targus Slim Case in the store. It's also $50 but I have seen it cheaper online. Amazon has it for under $40 and a lot of pictures: Amazon.com: Targus Slim Case for the New iPad (3rd Gen), Wi-Fi / 4G  Model 16GB, 32GB, 64GB THD006US (Black): Computers & Accessories

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Compared with the price of equivalent back covers and the smart cover, I have no gripes with the price. I paid $70 for what this does. I do have two issues. First, it does not come in black. The dark gray may be OK, but why not black? Second, I would want to make very sure about how the cover connects to the back piece. That join can be the difference between junk and joy.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
Compared with the price of equivalent back covers and the smart cover, I have no gripes with the price. I paid $70 for what this does. I do have two issues. First, it does not come in black. The dark gray may be OK, but why not black? Second, I would want to make very sure about how the cover connects to the back piece. That join can be the difference between junk and joy.

It's a one piece design, no hinges.

The Archangel

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Seadog, not sure if you saw this thread...however, Gabriel and iRager posted some pictures of their smart case/covers. It looks really nice...have a look.

http://www.ipadforums.net/apple-ipa...smart-case-cover-front-back-4.html#post576613

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Darn, I wanted a smart cover like the first Apple cover for the iPad original. That first cover provided front and back protection. I thought there would be something similar for the iPad2 but Apple came up with the Smart Cover that covered the front and left the back naked. A lot of third parties made good money selling their version of the smart cover with the back also covered. Apple still did not offer a smart cover with back protection for the new iPad, so I ordered this third-party smart cover two weeks ago. I got it this past Monday (06/11). And now Apple offers the Smart cover front and back!

Oh well! I am glad I got this cover anyway because I needed a BLACK smart cover front and back. The cost of this cover is US$.

01e438e7.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions