What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Amazon Fire Tablet killing the iPad? We think not.....

Padholdr

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.padholdr.com
There have been some rumors going around that the new Amazon tablet would be a huge competition with the iPad because of the price being half of what the iPad is. This morning the Amazon tablet was released, and it does seem to be a good value, however it doesn't even come close to competing with the iPad.

Read the full story here.

eddie7457

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As soon as the competition release their tablets with a 'smaller' screen, they are lagging behind straight away. One of the biggest plusses of the i-pad is its 10 inch screen, perfect for watching video. A screen half this size is a total waste of time in my opinion, I use mine as an in car DVD player, I have a Nissan Qashqai with 7 speaker Bose sound system, this combined with my i-pad showing movies in HD takes some beating. The new Amazon tablet is half the price of the i-pad, that's because it's half the quality!

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think it's a good device for someone who is budget conscience and who only wants to do some web surfing, watching video and reading books. The screen size may be fine for others, I think it's a little small for movies and web surfing but that is a personal taste. If they’re not needing an app store and a device that they can be more productive with then I think the Kindle Fire is a good alternative. Honestly, I don't think it's really fair to compare the iPad to the Kindle Fire, the Kindle Fire is more of an entry level device whereas the iPad is more advanced and at a different level.

Spink10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
I think it's a good device for someone who is budget conscience and who only wants to do some web surfing, watching video and reading books. The screen size may be fine for others, I think it's a little small for movies and web surfing but that is a personal taste. If they’re not needing an app store and a device that they can be more productive with then I think the Kindle Fire is a good alternative. Honestly, I don't think it's really fair to compare the iPad to the Kindle Fire, the Kindle Fire is more of an entry level device whereas the iPad is more advanced and at a different level.

Right on

Elliern

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also think it seems like a very good entry level device. At 7 inches is small but ok. Will be a great eReader plus web surfing,
email, some games and other apps from android app store, streaming and movies. Sounds like a good low price alternative to
The iPad for those only need those capabilities.

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What is interesting is the price point though, couple hundred bucks and I can get one for my kids and they can play games on it in the car and my iPad takes less of a beating. I read on my iPhone all the time with the Kindle app so may be an option. I had no inclination to buy any other iPad killer but for the price may think about this "killer" cause I like to read.

blucente

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:

Right on the money, I agree 100%

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wookiee2cu said:
Honestly, I don't think it's really fair to compare the iPad to the Kindle Fire, the Kindle Fire is more of an entry level device whereas the iPad is more advanced and at a different level.
It's not so much a matter of "fairness" - but consumers will automatically make the comparison between the two, and while the iPad is not under any immediate threat from the Fire, the Fire could be Amazon's early steps to eventually make inroads into the 10” tablet market share, in a generation or two (esp at their price point.)

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with you but I think once consumers start doing some research and feature comparisons they will find that they are two different beasts and choose the one that suits their needs best; kind of like a point & shoot and a DSLR. I personally hope that Amazon is successful with the Fire and in time adds more hardware and features to it so it is at the same level as the iPad. Competition forces the companies to be on the ball and in the end it's the consumers that end up reaping the benefits.

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It looks like it's just a color display Kindle reader with a few extra features.. I'm sure there will be a market for it, but like others have already pointed out. It's too small for me.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see the Fire wrecking iPad's short-term future, but there probably will be people who will opt for a Fire instead of an iPad. A few hundred dollars' difference means a lot to many consumers.

Longer term, if Amazon can produce and sell the Fire for 200 bucks, I wonder what it can come up with for 500-plus.

As a consumer, I like to see competition. As a stockholder in Amazon and Apple, I like to see share prices rise. But I'm not emotionally attached to devices, companies or shares; I'll buy and keep only what serves me.

I'll get to try a Fire anyway, because my husband has pre-ordered one. He said it was too cheap not to goof around with, which I thought was funny considering that he barely uses his iPad.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only way Amazon can sell the tablet for this cheap is because they are just covering their costs and plan to make all their profit on content.

-t

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way Amazon can sell the tablet for this cheap is because they are just covering their costs and plan to make all their profit on content.

-t

Yes, as several people noted on another Amazon-Apple thread, that's the key reason we thought Amazon could come on stronger than other existing tablet makers.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Considering powerhouse hardware manufacturer HP only sold 20,000 tablets before bailing out and dumping them below cost, Amazon will have to do something very creative to grow beyond the already defined Kindle market.

-t

Most reactions

Latest posts