What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Network problems

KATZ49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad g1, and an iPhone.
The iPad carrier is Orange
The iPhone is Vodafone.
Yet no matter what I try I cannot join a network.

I keep getting a popup on both the iPad and the iPhone from Thomson asking for a password
The iPad is Thompson E54EDB
The iPhone is Thompson 332A2C
Does anyone have a password for either of these.?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's because your iPad can 'see' a WiFi network that's encrypted and - since the iPad always tries to join a WiFi network in preference over 3G - it's asking you for the password. It sounds as though it's not your network - perhaps that of a neighbour's - but the iPad doesn't know that.

Tim

OP
KATZ49

KATZ49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how do I get past this, and join a network of my choosing.?
I've tried joining my own home Network, but it keeps telling me it can't "see" it
For the name I've tried Netgear, Netgear dg834, Home, Homegroup, and my password, but it doesn't see any of them.

Why, I'm sat right along side it. mines encrypted, so why doesn't it see that

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how do I get past this, and join a network of my choosing.?
I've tried joining my own home Network, but it keeps telling me it can't "see" it
For the name I've tried Netgear, Netgear dg834, Home, Homegroup, and my password, but it doesn't see any of them.

Why, I'm sat right along side it.

If you go to 'Settings', 'WiFi' the iPad will search for and list all the networks it can 'see' irrespective of whether it can join them. Is your network listed there? You don't need to type in any name, password etc at this stage - it will simply list the networks it can 'see' and will tell you the name of the network - which may have been set by default by the router. If you can't recognise the name that's been assigned by your router, then turn it off for a while and see which of the names in the list of available networks disappears.

Tim

OP
KATZ49

KATZ49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Turned of my router, same 5 networks showed, none disappeared.

OP
KATZ49

KATZ49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah..:mad:

Slapped wrist, can you recommend a reliable wireless one.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you have a PC connected to this router? Does that PC have WiFi? If so, you can set up a PC to be a wireless hotspot.

Tim

OP
KATZ49

KATZ49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To explain my home network PC connected by ethernet cable other units through the mains.(upstairs PC+Laptop)

I think my easiest way is to buy a separate w/router

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To explain my home network PC connected by ethernet cable other units through the mains.(upstairs PC+Laptop)

I think my easiest way is to buy a separate w/router

Your laptop probably has WiFi so you could turn that into a WiFi hotspot. Even if it doesn't you could purchase a USB WiFi dongle and establish the hotspot via that.

But, of course, a WiFi router would work just fine.......

Tim

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is your existing router your broadband connection too? (I'm assuming, if it is, you'd need both WiFi and ADSL functionality).

Tim

Most reactions