What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix vs. Hulu

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thoughts? I was just checking out Hulu and of all the devices they use to streamline, ATV was not on there. I kicked them an email. Anyone have a preference one over the other here?

The series I really wanted to watch and Netflix doesn't have it nor does hulu, is True Blood. Darn it. But the prices are the same. We were a little disappointed with Netflix and their selection. They use to offer lots more. :(

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
Seeing the demand for distribution hubs like Netflix I wonder how soon content providers figure out they're nuts to lease what they own. They can design their own app and rent their contact directly to viewers for a nominal fee, pay per view or, a season pass like on Zune.

Canada doesn't have access to Hulu so I can't comment on the comparison.

AA

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't have Netflix, but my general impression is that if newer movies are you thing, then Netflix is the best choice. If TV series, then Hulu. There is a lot of overlap though.

Since I don't have friends and family who are into the latest series, I don't rarely miss what's not there, nor mind waiting a week or two for the the newest episodes of what few I do care about.

More and more carriers are delaying or removing their content from both Hulu and Netflix; pretty much for the reasons the Admiral describes. They figure they can get squeeze more money out of them before going to the lower backshelf/rerun income streams. And, some are not doubt considering their own internet content distribution.

In the not to far future it may be necessary to create several folders to contain all you TV channel apps on the iPad. Or they could get even smarter and wrap up the entire mobile market with a well thought out web app.

Though, if they would create an iOS app that would download/buffer episodes so I could view them when I want, I might be wiling to pay for that. It wouldn't have to store/keep them. Just let me watch without worrying about whether my internet connection was going to die mid scene. I hate that.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, boys! Appreciate your input ~ We finally have ATV hooked up. The first movie we tried, the picture was horrible! But I guess some are not going to be in HD. We have a free trial for a month at Netfilx ~ we will see!

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In Canada, CTV, City Tv and Global, the 3 major private TV networks, already have their own distribution model including IOS compatible apps, to deliver first run content FREE, 24 - 36 hours after a show airs. The stream contains mini commercials, 2 15x spots, inserted during 5 breaks. Soon they'll begin charging for this. BBC already does through it's IOS app. I think $8.99 per mos.

AA

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Rogers On Demand in Canada just launched on Xbox but their model is goofy.
Our household has an Xbox Live account, $59 per year I think. Figured Rogers would allow us to access content on a pay per view basis right ????
Turns out you have to be a Rogers Cable Subscriber. If you've got the cable why would you want to access it across Xbox?
AA

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well ~ we have cable and I was getting tired of getting movies and paying $5.99 for them! Lots are free but still. So for 8 bucks a month, we get a lot more choices.

frankgu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love netflix

For Canadian, our only good choice is netflix. Though it is not as good as that in US, but to most immigration, it is way more than what we need. Most movie and TV shows are new to us anyway. If I really want to watch current movies, then I can just go to theater (may be twice a year) or order online. I currently use WD Live and Apple TV to stream Netflix and others. WD Live is a better choice (with external usb and far more format support).

I am also an Amazon prime member, but can't watch their movie as we live in Canada. I don't care about that as Amazon's selection will be much less anyway.

I have recommend many of my colleagues and friends (most Chinese) for netflix and they all love it. I believe if netflix can open a market in China, their profit will go to roof (I know what they need).

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice post, Frank! We have had Netflix for a few weeks, and the pictures are pretty good. There were two that were really bad and not watchable at all. But all in all, it has gotten a lot better then when we first started.

They always send me an email asking: "how was the picture quality?" Which is a good idea!

Most reactions