What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Netflix app

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downloaded the app and signed up for the free month and unlimited online stream but I really don't see and whole lot I've heard of or much new released from theaters. Do u have to pay the $2 extra to get DVDs in the mail to get really new stuff? If so why?

FunN4Lo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had Netflix forever. Lots of streaming on the system but movies go like this... Theaters...DVD... streaming. So the streaming is the last to get the movie. Last weeks block buster won't be there, but the one from a month or 2 ago probably is.

Physical DVDs cost more on Netflix because mailing cost money

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I get that.....but even like "hangover" been out for a while now and u gotta get that by DVD

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some stuff is available for streaming right away but not often. They only support so much streaming content at once so something that is available for streaming right now might not be available a month from now. For example Quest For Fire is only available until the 31st of this month. On the first of February Letters From Iwo Jima will become available. Several mosr on my queue will expire that day as well. Also, there are some things that are only available in streaming. I just watched Kevin Smith: Too Fat For 40 online, it doens't appear to be available in DVD or Blu Ray. It's likely that The Hangover was already available on streaming and just expired. Streaming Netflix is like Showtime On Demand, but with a larger selection and more actual good movies.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Word on the streets is Netflix is switching over to pure streaming.

Redbox seems to be taking away from Netflix. I use Netflix for streaming on all 5 devices I own. And redbox for new hit movies not streamed via Netflix. I'd rather watch that night than wait 3 days..

Last edited:
OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Me too.....they need to do something to jus blow red box out the water!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They won't be able to offer streaming for current/popular until the movie industry is willing to work with them. They (the industry) make a lot of money on DVD sales. They won't permit Netflix to offer just any movie.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFIK they don't offer streaming video (yet!), but I am beginning to see a lot of new "blue boxes" around town!

Blockbuster+Express+Box+Picture.jpg

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AFIK they don't offer streaming video (yet!), but I am beginning to see a lot of new "blue boxes" around town!

Blockbuster+Express+Box+Picture.jpg

Depending on the market, blue box may not do well. I know at least in CO there is redbox everywhere like starbucks. In my sub development there are 4 in less than a 1 mile area (two machines per location, so 8 total). They seem to have a hold on mcdonalds, walgreens and walmarts I've noticed..

dupont2005

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Redbox is doing fine right now but I see it as something that will be obsolete very soon. I only see them in budget shopping areas, probably marketing to people who don't own computers or have Internet at home. People who can't use Netflix or people who have not yet embraced online shopping. Those people are a rapidly shrinking demographic. I am not sure if the Redbox is an individual franchise like a soda machine or not so I don't know what selection is like everywhere, but the ones I have seen are easel 2/3 b-movie straight to video stuff nobody has ever heard about. The selection of actual Hollywood hits is pretty slim. I have never even considered using one. If I see a movie I like that is not already queued up in Netflix I just snap a photo and go home and add it. I also do not know how many copies of a movie these things can hold so I don't know what the odds are of one being rented out but it's at least possible at some degree.

I do think streaming media everywhere, not just Netflix, is the future. I don't think it's going to happen overnight though. Disc rentals still have at least a few years left in them.

speedlever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I sure hope DVD has more than a few years left. My home theater system is setup around the DVD. I don't know how I would get 5.1 sound out of streaming video. Is it possible?

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Word on the streets is Netflix is switching over to pure streaming.

Redbox seems to be taking away from Netflix. I use Netflix for streaming on all 5 devices I own. And redbox for new hit movies not streamed via Netflix. I'd rather watch that night than wait 3 days..

Please forgive the stupid question, but for the $7.99 monthly charge I could use Netflix on my iPad, wii and iPhone? Just trying to decide if I want to sign-up for it or not.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadOhana said:
Please forgive the stupid question, but for the $7.99 monthly charge I could use Netflix on my iPad, wii and iPhone? Just trying to decide if I want to sign-up for it or not.

Yup 30 days free...my first $7.99 jus started coming out this month, I've watch through the wii and my iPad, guess iPhone is the same I just dont have one. My 3 year old watching cartoons n them

iPadOhana

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you accordlayingkit...

I'll probably be signing up shortly for it too. Dang, more $$ to play on my iPad. I'll spin it for the kids and see how that works. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPadOhana said:
Thank you accordlayingkit...

I'll probably be signing up shortly for it too. Dang, more $$ to play on my iPad. I'll spin it for the kids and see how that works. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea no problem, i dont really watch a whole lot of movies and I wish the movies on there were brand new stuff but I guess the movie industry still has to make the money off the DVDs. But if if was that big of a deal I can always change my Netflix for 9.99 to stream and get newer stuff in the mail or just go to Walgreens or 7eleven a mile from home and check out the red box

Most reactions

Latest posts