What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need some ideas!!!

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!

My wife is a 1st grade teacher and we are looking for ideas on getting some kind of funding to get her classroom a 16GB iPad 2. She works at a Title I school and she feels having this kind of technology in her classroom could be a great teaching aid. As you know most school districts all over the US are having money issues, so this is something she would need to try and get outside funding for. Any ideas you guys could give us on trying to make this happen would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!

My wife is a 1st grade teacher and we are looking for ideas on getting some kind of funding to get her classroom a 16GB iPad 2. She works at a Title I school and she feels having this kind of technology in her classroom could be a great teaching aid. As you know most school districts all over the US are having money issues, so this is something she would need to try and get outside funding for. Any ideas you guys could give us on trying to make this happen would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Get a job working at McDonalds on the weekends, buy an Ipad2, and then gift the Ipad2 to the school. Deduct it from your taxes. Win-win.

OP
X

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!
Jason

Get a job working at McDonalds on the weekends, buy an Ipad2, and then gift the Ipad2 to the school. Deduct it from your taxes. Win-win.

My wife and I are on one income since I am a stay-at-home dad. We spend most of our little extra money we have left on supplies for the kids in my wife's classroom since most are less fortunate. On the weekends I help my parents out by cleaning their house because my dad is a 100% disabled veteran and my mom just had surgery to remove her cancer and they are also dealing with the loss of my little brother who was killed in Iraq at 22 years old who died fighting for his Country for people like you!!! My wife is wanting to do this to have new technology in her classroom to help with new ways to teach her first graders! We are looking for serious ideas! We care about the kids she teaches like they are our own and want the best for them!!! If you don't have a constructive comment to make, then don't make one at all!

Thanks,
Jason

OP
X

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to make this clear we are not looking for a handout! We are asking for ideas. There may be other teachers on this forum that might have great ideas on how to raise money for this. I know a lot of people care about children's education and I figured this forum would be a great place to get some ideas from!

Thanks,
Jason

testerdennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try writing Steve Jobs, Apple has been known to have a kind heart for stories like yours.

OP
X

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try writing Steve Jobs, Apple has been known to have a kind heart for stories like yours.

Thanks testerdennis! I did some more research and found this site DonorsChoose.org: An online charity connecting you to classrooms in need Looks like it may be a great option. We might also try to finance it and see if we can write it off on our taxes since it will be used strictly in the classroom. We have been able to write other expenses off like the classroom supplies the students have needed that we bought for them like crayons, pencils, glue and paper. My wife has a masters in technology and she is always looking into new innovative ways to help teach her 1st graders! Thanks for your idea and I will pass it along to her tonight.

Thanks,
Jason

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

A great idea, to use the iPad in the classroom. If you are trying to figure out the funding for just one, I’d contact Apple and find out what the cost will be. They do offer discounts to educational institutions.

With that cost info in hand, I would approach either your local chamber of commerce or largest local businesses for underwriting the purchase on behalf of the school. With the free engraving offered by Apple, the donor’s name could be engraved on the back. Public acknowledgment is always a plus.

Since there are folks who are clueless about technology (or common courtesy, as you’ve seen), I think it would be helpful for your wife to install the educational apps she plans to use on her own iPad so potential benefactors could see their benefit - and be assured it’s not just a gaming machine.

The business community, at least in my area, is always willing to contribute towards good educational projects.

Hope it works out for you. My thanks to your family for its service, and condolences for your loss.

debsylvania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure you've probably mulled over all sorts of fund raising ideas.. bake sales, etc., but somehow my brain merged "1st graders" with a video I'd seen of an artist finger painting on an iPad, with some amazing results. (You can find the video(s) by searching youtube with "fingerpaint" and "ipad" as the search criteria.)

1st graders are of an age that is particularly artistically uninhibited, with the potential to produce some really graphically exciting art. You could do any number of things with their art, from having a "gallery exhibition" with works being sold or auctioned to creating iron-on transfers of their work made and sold (there are craft store kits that facilitate this).

At any rate, good luck with this project, it's definitely a worthy one!

OP
X

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Jason,

A great idea, to use the iPad in the classroom. If you are trying to figure out the funding for just one, I’d contact Apple and find out what the cost will be. They do offer discounts to educational institutions.

With that cost info in hand, I would approach either your local chamber of commerce or largest local businesses for underwriting the purchase on behalf of the school. With the free engraving offered by Apple, the donor’s name could be engraved on the back. Public acknowledgment is always a plus.

Since there are folks who are clueless about technology (or common courtesy, as you’ve seen), I think it would be helpful for your wife to install the educational apps she plans to use on her own iPad so potential benefactors could see their benefit - and be assured it’s not just a gaming machine.

The business community, at least in my area, is always willing to contribute towards good educational projects.

Hope it works out for you. My thanks to your family for its service, and condolences for your loss.

Thanks Aspasia for the condolences! The anniversary of my brother's death was Saturday, so this weekend was a hard one for my family and I!

I checked the Apple Store and they don't seem to give a discount on the iPad 2 at this time for educational institutions. We are going to try the website I mentioned above and I will also talk to my wife about what you mentioned above. Those are some great ideas and I really appreciate your feedback! My wife gives her heart and soul to teaching and just wants the best for her students:) Thanks again and have a great week!

Jason

OP
X

xavier32178

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sure you've probably mulled over all sorts of fund raising ideas.. bake sales, etc., but somehow my brain merged "1st graders" with a video I'd seen of an artist finger painting on an iPad, with some amazing results. (You can find the video(s) by searching youtube with "fingerpaint" and "ipad" as the search criteria.)

1st graders are of an age that is particularly artistically uninhibited, with the potential to produce some really graphically exciting art. You could do any number of things with their art, from having a "gallery exhibition" with works being sold or auctioned to creating iron-on transfers of their work made and sold (there are craft store kits that facilitate this).

At any rate, good luck with this project, it's definitely a worthy one!

Thanks debsylvania! That is a great idea! My wife & I have actually bought art work off of students at her school to decorate our 2 year old daughters room. I will pass this idea along to her!

Thanks again!
Jason

Chriztofor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Thanks in advance!
Jason

My wife and I are on one income since I am a stay-at-home dad. We spend most of our little extra money we have left on supplies for the kids in my wife's classroom since most are less fortunate. On the weekends I help my parents out by cleaning their house because my dad is a 100% disabled veteran and my mom just had surgery to remove her cancer and they are also dealing with the loss of my little brother who was killed in Iraq at 22 years old who died fighting for his Country for people like you!!! My wife is wanting to do this to have new technology in her classroom to help with new ways to teach her first graders! We are looking for serious ideas! We care about the kids she teaches like they are our own and want the best for them!!! If you don't have a constructive comment to make, then don't make one at all!

Thanks,
Jason

Whoa, a couple of things. 1) This is the first time you are telling everyone about the background facts. ( I am not a mind reader) 2) What is wrong with working on the weekends to make extra cash? (I know in your situation you can't do that, but again, I didn't know that.) 3) Why are you combining all your problems with getting an Ipad 2? 4) Sorry for your losses, I would worry about other things besides an Ipad 2. 5) Again, sorry for your losses and hardships.

manitou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure how large a population there is where you live, but how about asking the parents of the children to donate items that can then be sold on Craigslist? And, better yet see if there is a parent that would coordinate such an effort; posting, selling, etc. That way the kids and parents are involved in something that will give them all ownership in this teaching tool.

mjguetzko

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Funding for I-Pad

The easiest and no personal expense is to go to DonorsChoose.org: An online charity connecting you to classrooms in need.
A young teacher created the web site for people to donate and it is great. You set up an account, write a small first project, launch it and get your stuff in a week or two! Then write a bigger project.

Teachers get everything from pens and colored markers and paper to computers and field trips, funding for books and Flip videos, classroom storage, tables, chairs, special needs supplies, regular supplies, batteries, anything and everything. Only public schools and only teacher. You can watch some You Tube vidoes about this site too.

Gemspring

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll preface by saying I did not read all of the replies, so disregard this if you have heard it already. Are you located near a college or university with a teacher education program? If so, sometimes they have funds for studying innovative uses of technology in the classroom. Try to contact someone there and see if they need a classroom for in-service observations, etc, and write a proposal to justify the purchase of the iPad.
Also, if she plans to use the technology with a diverse student population, she may want to look into Teacher Organizations (i.e. council for exceptional children) who award grant funding for research in the classroom. Some of the requirements are minimal if she is willing to share the pros and cons with other educators in the field. That's another great way to get funding for classroom materials.

Good luck!
Gem

hanadave

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too would recommend donorschoose.org
It is worth a look. The problem your wife may run into is that every child in her class is going to want to use the iPad. I too am an educator though I'm working in Japan at a junior and senior high.

I'll keep the message here short for you.
I made an app for teachers to use with students in the classroom environment. I'd like to offer you guys free a promotion code to it if you are interested. (PM me if you want one.)

My app is called Futaba- it is a game designed to help young learners remember vocabulary and play together in groups of up to 4 students. Teachers can change the content and that for me is the best part of it.

Futaba - Word Games for Kids for iPad on the iTunes App Store

I'd only ask that in return if you though it was useful that you help spread the word to other families and teachers for me!

Dave Wingler
Osaka Kunei Girls' Junior and Senior High

Most reactions

Latest posts