What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a quick answer

Lindgren21

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My neighbor purchased an I-pad and cant seem to figure out how to put his movies on it.

He claims he has converted the file to MP4 and it still wont work. He thinks he needs a dvd ripper to "decode" the files- Is this true?

Could someone please take me through step by step how they put their .AVI movies on the Ipad?
If you could provide names and links to the software you use, it would be awesome.

Thanks fellas!

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends how he "converted" the file, if he just renamed it from avi to mp4, it's not going to work.

But if he used a program such as Handbrake or some other conversion software, there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Remember that he should drag the files into the iTunes library and then go into the iPad in iTunes and go to videos and select to sync them.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or the other option is to set up ZumoCast, convert the files on the iPad and save them locally on the app. It's the easiest way overall once you get it all setup.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Even if the movies are in mp4 it is possible that their resolution is too high for the iPad display. They must be reconfigured for the AppleTV setting in HandBrake. Takes hours...

Do a search on this site for movie conversion, there's a sticky somewhere...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never did that in Handbrake. I even took some 720p and 1080i videos and just did a direct MP4 conversion in Handbrake and they played on the iPad just fine

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never did that in Handbrake. I even took some 720p and 1080i videos and just did a direct MP4 conversion in Handbrake and they played on the iPad just fine

My Sony camera does 720p in mp4 and somehow I can't put my homemade movies directly on iPad straight out of the device. They have to be converted first to the right size...
Wait, that was before the last update. I'll have to retry first...

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use air video now as zumocast withdrawn :(

Yeah, I see it's not on the AppStore any more, but the website says it will be available again soon. So for those of us that already have it, it still works, it's just new users won't be able to download it.

Most reactions