What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 has already died!!!

Wicked x Josh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So after standing in line from 4:30 to 5:30 and then using it for about twenty minutes, I took an hour to drive to my dads and then at around 8:30 I finally got to use it. I was using it for about two hours and then it started to act up.

At first it was a little bit of lag between about a quarter inch on the left side and the rest of the screen. Shutting down all of the multi tasking seemed to have fixed it but about thirty minutes later it got worse, it the left side of the screen and the rest of it were not even showing the same apps or anything. Once this started I got on my Mac and tried restoring it, that didnt help. I decided to restore it again and thats when everything went down hill...

I can't get a photo of the second restore screen because its too dark but its basically just a smear of the restore bar streched across the screen.
Now that the screen has restore screen has gone away:

You can see it is the lock screen and I can still unlock it just by kind of feeling for it and it will open. You can still open up apps and stuff but all you can see is the top little screen (what I called the left side earlier).
Here is a photo with what I think is note pad:

So as you can see the touch sensors and the actual iOS works fine but the screen is dead.
So I just figured I would be first to share that the iPad 2 does seem to have a few issues and I plan on giving **** at Apple tomorrow.

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:(Well, Well Well...
Tough luck. Seems like a hardware problem.
Now you have to stand in line once again, to replace it.
Can happen to any one on any device.:(

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Take it back immediately and tell them u want a completely new n different device. I feel ur pain. Thats a shame but with soo many ipad2 rushed out, there was bound tombe a few bad apples. Don't let them try to tell u they gonna fix it. Say exchange it for a new one or ur money back. PERIOD! Try to go there early so i don't have to be standing in line long. That is messed up though. Seems like a hardware issue cuz that screen looks f$&@$& up. Good luck n post back what apple does to solve ur problem.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect this isn't going to work but, just in case and before you wait in line at the store.... and, OK, you've probably tried it already - so I apologise in advance...but....

Press and hold the 'Power' and 'Home' button for about 30 seconds - it can seem like a real long time - until the white Apple logo appears - the iPad will then reboot - takes a while, so have patience and - if you're lucky, you'll be back at your Home screen.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you - let us know of your progress - either fixing the problem yourself or how you get on at the Apple store.

Tim
Scotland

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple has not RUSHED out the iPad 2

Take it back immediately and tell them u want a completely new n different device. I feel ur pain. Thats a shame but with soo many ipad2 rushed out, there was bound tombe a few bad apples. Don't let them try to tell u they gonna fix it. Say exchange it for a new one or ur money back. PERIOD! Try to go there early so i don't have to be standing in line long. That is messed up though. Seems like a hardware issue cuz that screen looks f$&@$& up. Good luck n post back what apple does to solve ur problem.
------------------------
Just a point Apple has not rushed out the ipad2

When you purchase any computer regardless of brand one can have a DOA (dead on arrival). Apple's Quality control is one of the best in the industry with out exceptions. Apple will replace it with a brand new unit no questions asked ok. Yes I feel sorry for the OP. Just take it back straight away and all will be well. Oh one more thing unlike a normal Pc they do not fix they replace.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother with queueing in the regular line: just go straight to any staff member and tell them you have a DOA device.

hey_moe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ouch, something like that would make me sick to my stomach. I hope all works out for ya...Mike

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd be there right now exchanging it. Hopefully the OP has some good news when they post back. Good luck!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple will switch it out in the store no questions. It came out yesterday! They wouldn't even need a receipt to know it's under warranty. Everyone is so used to dealing with places like best buy that they are ready to storm in and give them a piece of your mind if they won't help you....apple replaced my new iPod touch the day after I got it because I accidentally got a big scratch down the screen!! That's not at all covered under their warranty...but they are customer service oriented and rather than have me all pissed that I have a brand new scratched iPod touch they just gave me a new one! They just send the other one back to be refurbished.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple will switch it out in the store no questions. It came out yesterday! They wouldn't even need a receipt to know it's under warranty. Everyone is so used to dealing with places like best buy that they are ready to storm in and give them a piece of your mind if they won't help you....apple replaced my new iPod touch the day after I got it because I accidentally got a big scratch down the screen!! That's not at all covered under their warranty...but they are customer service oriented and rather than have me all pissed that I have a brand new scratched iPod touch they just gave me a new one! They just send the other one back to be refurbished.

Oh, I'm sure they will switch it out for th OP. You right about other stores though. They give you hassle on returning products most of the time. When I first got my iPad I purchased the keyboard dock also. Returned it to apple store because I didn't like it. No problem there. Then I purchased BT keyboard then returned it because of the limited functionality. I thought I could turn home screen pages with it. No problem returning that either. So Yes, Apple store is definitely customer service oriented. Plus I was amazed how the guy processed my purchase with his iPhone and printed my receipt out on it. Very impressed with that type of tech. I might swing by the apple store today or tomorrow to check out the ipad2 on display. Ill try my hardest not to walk out buying one..lol
Don't you think 1st wave of new devices are gonna be more prone to bugs and being faulty/DOA? Wouldn't it be better to wait n see what the kinks are?

pastorsteve

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personal policy - never buy first release, rarely buy first generation. Let the bugs get worked out then. Plus the whole stand in line for something that will be out of date in 3 months, nope. But, that's what warranty's are for. No reason to worry, or fret, they'll get you going unless, of course, it happened while trying to break or modify it.

Most reactions