What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multitrack Recording on the iPad 2 and one. All your questions answered.

anthonyalves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enter this forum to engage in an in-depth look of the power of the new audio recording apps available for the iPad . As well as music creation apps which present the power of the pro software and getting better every month. The power of the iPad 2 as I have, allows these new apps to reach near pro performance. I think I own every pro audio app on the app store but if tell us what you use how you use it and where we can here it. Hope to hear from all you new and existing iPad recording artists. Cheers from the west coast of Canada.

Shutterbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first app I bought for my iPad was Garage Band because I thought I would like to get back into music casually after a 30 year hiatus (other than just listening to others' compositions). It seems straight forward enough, but time just never permits me to play with it much. Back in the day I wrote all my own music and haven't found any electronic "sheets" to write the actual notes etc on. I think actually writing the music down may be a declining art form and I would love to know if there is such a thing as an electronic composition book out there.

Excellent topic and one that I am certain the iPad is more than capable of. Now I have ANOTHER iPad interest to invest in! Cheers!

Shutterbug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shutterbug said:
The first app I bought for my iPad was Garage Band because I thought I would like to get back into music casually after a 30 year hiatus (other than just listening to others' compositions). It seems straight forward enough, but time just never permits me to play with it much. Back in the day I wrote all my own music and haven't found any electronic "sheets" to write the actual notes etc on. I think actually writing the music down may be a declining art form and I would love to know if there is such a thing as an electronic composition book out there.

Excellent topic and one that I am certain the iPad is more than capable of. Now I have ANOTHER iPad interest to invest in! Cheers!

Not saying GB is professional btw....

Sent from my 64GB white iPad2 using iPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest Gorrilaz album was recorded on the iPad. This is the list of apps they used.....it may be of some use(!)

"Speak It! / SoundyThingie / Mugician / Solo Synth / Synth / Funk Box / Gliss / AmpliTube / Xenon / iElectribe / BS-16i / M3000 HD / Cleartune / iOrgel HD / Olsynth / StudioMiniXI / BassLine / Harmonizer / Dub Siren Pro / Moog Filatron"

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is so cool! I'm a big fan of Gorillaz so that sort of blew me away that they use the iPad to do it!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
That is so cool! I'm a big fan of Gorillaz so that sort of blew me away that they use the iPad to do it!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Strangely, they weren't the first band to release a record (does that show my age?) recorded on the iPad.......I just can't recall the name!

The Archangel

OP
A

anthonyalves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GarageBand is an excellent choice to get back into music. You can get a quick idea down in no time at all. It is also powerful enough to produce some very good quality demos. Dont worry about pro stuff the best creative work right now is coming from these new devices. If you really want a polished finish product there are some really great mastering houses that do affordable mastering. I do mine through Tune Core. They will distribute your tunes as well. So work on whatever gets you back into writing and recording. Cheers.

Robsodav

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anthonyalves said:
Enter this forum to engage in an in-depth look of the power of the new audio recording apps available for the iPad . As well as music creation apps which present the power of the pro software and getting better every month. The power of the iPad 2 as I have, allows these new apps to reach near pro performance. I think I own every pro audio app on the app store but if tell us what you use how you use it and where we can here it. Hope to hear from all you new and existing iPad recording artists. Cheers from the west coast of Canada.

I am keen to try some multiple-track recording with garage band with input from an instrument. Do I need an external mic tho to get reasonable quality recording?

Also I would like to use a CD track as backing. Is there any way to import this into garage band?

Fid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Shutterbug said:

I use the app Tunebook to write down music. It uses the ABC music notation style to input the notes. You get sheet music output. The app will play your song with midi voicings, though not very well. Slurs and ties are treated as individual notes. I have the iPhone version which works just fine for me.

seanquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If I were to buy one App for general multi-track recording duties on the iPad, what should I choose?
I have just bought an Alesis iO dock and want some good software to go with it. Any recommendations?

mikespe

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I were to buy one App for general multi-track recording duties on the iPad, what should I choose?
I have just bought an Alesis iO dock and want some good software to go with it. Any recommendations?

I'm interested in what you think about the Alesis iO? I've been looking at that device ever since I got the iPad. I'm also looking at getting the Digitech iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard for my guitar...a bit pricey but looks GREAT!

seanquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iO Dock for iPad

iO Dock is a neat piece of Hardware. Only thing missing seems to be a proper user Manual and a digital in/out facility. The Quick Start guide supplied is enough to get you going, I suppose, but I want to know more especially the specs of the various connections and suggestions on compatible apps. Alesis have really fallen down on documentation for this device, but it obviously has potential. I haven't made any recordings yet and will report more when I have. Still waiting for suggestions on good multitrack apps. Studio Mini XL looked promising but appears to have no pan facility and you have to export tracks via iTunes!
I really want to be able to connect the iPad to say my PC to ttransfer the WAV files for mastering and CD burning, but iO Dock only has audio and MIDI out.

I'm interested in what you think about the Alesis iO? I've been looking at that device ever since I got the iPad. I'm also looking at getting the Digitech iPB-10 Programmable Pedalboard for my guitar...a bit pricey but looks GREAT!

OP
A

anthonyalves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes Garageband for ease of use and Meteor Multitrack if you want to dive into real DAW recording. Both offer tons of sounds to work with and are very exciting to use. Good luck.

OP
A

anthonyalves

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Things are getting bright on the iPad recording front. I'm now using the new Apogee Mic and it is amazing. The first pure digital mic that by-passes the iPads internal audio converters and instead uses Apogees world renowned 24 bit converters @ 48khz and yes the iPad can record at 48khz if the imput is direct like this mic. This now puts 2 very pure digital devices that should support almost any recording situation, the Apogee Jam and Mic. Also, with the release of Auria in the next week will bring the ipad even closer to a real computer DAW. As well multichannel input recording is becoming the norm in iPad recording apps an not only the software but the hardware as well with products from RME, Focusrite, PreSonus, Alesis, Yamaha and more leading the way. Now that the pro tools (pardon the pun) are available all that is needed now are young and fresh oroducers,writers and performers to use these tools and take them into the future of modern music. So post your links to songs produced entirely using ONLY your iPad for the world to hear it's potential. I'm working on that now. Cheers and good recordings.

seanquinn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I decided to buy Studio Mini XL as I liked the format of the home screen: 8 channels with virtual faders, coming from using a multitrack hard disk recorder, it's a familiar interface. You can also view the recorded tracks horizontally as in a DAW. You can record in stereo with the Alesis dock and panning is promised in a future update of the App. The Alesis is solidly made and seems to offer all facilities except digital out. Waiting to give it a proper workout and will report back.

Most reactions

Latest posts