What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multitasking?

wingnut144

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I get multitasking to work in my iPad? Currently if I want to switch between applications I close one down (using the square button) and start up a new application.....

Is there a better way?

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is no Real true multitasking on iPAD - Period !!
Only real Multitasking comes with Music in the background, while running some other application.

OP
wingnut144

wingnut144

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the iOS 4.3 update added multitasking.....at least that's what the website says, and that 4.3 is compatable with the iPad......

But you're saying there isn't a mutlitasking feature available??

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I thought the iOS 4.3 update added multitasking.....at least that's what the website says, and that 4.3 is compatable with the iPad......

But you're saying there isn't a mutlitasking feature available??

iOS 4.2 and 4.3 introduced 'multi-tasking'. But it's not multi-tasking as the PC world knows it - more 'task swapping', where programs (apps) can be switched in and out of the iPad's memory (RAM). The iPad 'remembers' the 'context' of the app that it switched out - where you were in the game - but that's about all - OK, some background activity was allowed - upload/download - music playing etc...

This was a sensible decision (in my view - OK - that means nothing!) - read the reviews of other tablet computers that allow 'multi-tasking' - those background tasks consume valuable CPU resource and, hence, 'battery life' and 'user experience'.

Tim
Scotland

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
in Safari, you can have up to six windows open, but it is not tabbed, and it just takes you back to the point you left. To go between open apps, you double click on the home button.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
in Safari, you can have up to six windows open, but it is not tabbed, and it just takes you back to the point you left. To go between open apps, you double click on the home button.

I get 9 windows?

The Archangel

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iOS 4.2 and 4.3 introduced 'multi-tasking'. But it's not multi-tasking as the PC world knows it - more 'task swapping', where programs (apps) can be switched in and out of the iPad's memory (RAM).

The term "multitasking" has been loosely and interchangeably used to refer to various methods of time-sharing various programs on the CPU, so statements like "there is no multitasking on iPad" need to be qualified and taken in context.

There are several types of multitasking and they all involve some level of task switching - essentially because each CPU can execute one task at a time (although a CPU executing millions of tasks in one second can make it look like it's doing several things simultaneously.)

For example, in multi-programming mode, there is only one task running on the CPU until a triggering event (whether user or computer-triggered) causes the task to be swapped out of CPU, which is what you see on iOS. In time-shared multitasking (although the term "time-shared" itself is obsolete), several programs appear to run simultaneously to our human perception, because the tasks are time-sliced within the CPU in rapid succession.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll need to jailbreak which for you I don't recommend.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All, right but I meant if something bad happens, it's a double uh-oh for wingnut144. No offense to you.

Reaction score
biobunny said:

Could you elaborate, as to how jail breaking leads to true multitasking?

I have only tried backgrounder, but it essentially does the same as the iOS 4.3 multitasking and more importantly, it also throws multitasked apps out, if the device runs low on memory. The only difference I could find is that it allows this semi multitasking for apps, which don't have the multitasking support inbuilt.

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick google search will find how to enable true multitasking on your iPad with jailbreaking of course.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
define the meaning of multitasking vs tab like switching

How do I get multitasking to work in my iPad? Currently if I want to switch between applications I close one down (using the square button) and start up a new application.....

Is there a better way?

It is important in this thread as to what is wanted by each person when they say I want multitasking. What are you wanting specifically?

Here's a link for some interpretations: http://casparija.home.comcast.net/~casparija/dweb/l95.htm

Last edited:

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A quick google search will find how to enable true multitasking on your iPad with jailbreaking of course.

I am confused. This says with Apple you task switch. With Jail break you can multitask. What can you really do here? With iPad (original) one processor, with iPad2, dual processors.

OneMarcil

iPF Novice
Reaction score
biobunny said:

The IPAD that I just sold when I hit the home button twice that brought up a series of icons of the last applications that I had opened. That Ipad was not jail broken. Now this IPAD that I just purchased today does not show the previously opened icons/applications that were opened previously. The IPAD came with 3.2.2 installed.

Now for the update..... I upgraded to the newest operating system 4.3.3. Multitasking works now.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts