What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multitasking (Skype)

Reaction score
The doubled RAM in the iPad 2 really seems to make a difference in terms of multitasking. On the iPad 1 Skype would be shut down as soon as a game was started, but the iPad 2 can handle that just fine. In a first test, I started Skype, then played N.O.V.A. 2 and still received incoming Skype calls.

Very cool.

bigredwagon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Feedback on multitasking with Skype...

Thinking about buying my wife an iPad 2 for our anniversary but I need to make sure that it can multi task two apps, primarily Skype or Facetime with Facebook games like Scrabble. She'll spend hours playing Scrabble with her mom while running Skype in the background so they heckle each other. If this is possible, it's a done deal but if it's going to require me to mod it out of the box I may have to look else where. Any feed back would be appreciated.

OP
DontUnderstandMyIpad
Reaction score
bigredwagon said:
Thinking about buying my wife an iPad 2 for our anniversary but I need to make sure that it can multi task two apps, primarily Skype or Facetime with Facebook games like Scrabble. She'll spend hours playing Scrabble with her mom while running Skype in the background so they heckle each other. If this is possible, it's a done deal but if it's going to require me to mod it out of the box I may have to look else where. Any feed back would be appreciated.

Not sure about Facebook Scrabble. However, Skype works while running in the background.

I just ran a test by Skype calling from iPad 1 to 2 and at the same time playing Monopoly over wifi between the two devices. Works great on the iPad 2, but iPad 1 is sluggish. Assuming Facebook Scrabble is a similar game, it will work.

Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
The doubled RAM in the iPad 2 really seems to make a difference in terms of multitasking. On the iPad 1 Skype would be shut down as soon as a game was started, but the iPad 2 can handle that just fine. In a first test, I started Skype, then played N.O.V.A. 2 and still received incoming Skype calls.

Very cool.

Srry to be off topic but, What's ur name on NOVA2? I'm Stormshadow757 I love that game. I also have Asphalt 6 , Real Racing2 HD(which looks and plays great on ipad1 regardless of previous posts said it didn't, really good graphics..plays very smooth on my ipad1) Archetype, Rainbow6 n some others I play against others online.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The new update for Skype on ipad1 supports multitasking also. It works in the background. Don't count us ipad1 owners out yet ;-)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
I was just re-reading the above post regarding Facebook games. Do these not rely on flash and thus won't work on the iPad?

Not with native safari they won't work but with a browser like swifter or other browsers that support flash, FB games will work.

Most reactions

Latest posts