What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Multi-user Password Manager

Martin777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a password manager that supports multiple users?

I'm struggling with the lack of multi-user support for our iPad 3, and trying to figure ways to work with it rather than against it:)

My wife and I don't have any other Apple devices, but would like to be able to sync passwords to access from PC too.

I've used Lastpass and Roboform before. Lastpass doesn't appear to support multiple users on an iPad - as far as I can tell? And whilst Roboform will let you change user, astoundingly you cannot add or edit logins on iPad making it highly limited.

We really want multiple user logins, not just one account and filtering, and single click or auto login is essential.

Can anything handle this..?

Only other route I can see at the moment is one of us uses Lastpass and the other has to find something else..!

Suggestions most welcome :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Because an iPad is considered a "personal" device, Apple have no support in iOS for multiple users. Therefore no app can assist in managing multiple user passwords simply because multiple users is not available at the OS level.

OP
M

Martin777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, I know there is no support yet from Apple at the OS level (and may never be), but I don't see how that stops a password manager app from providing the ability to switch users..? In fact, as I mentioned, Roboform provide a simple option to change user and log in as a different one. Bingo, multi users supported. Problem is their iPad app is half finished and can't add or edit logins yet!

Can anyone with experience of other password management apps confirm if any work for multiple users, and are fully finished apps?

Thanks.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess if a particular app allows multiple user log-in, then that would be different to say a global multi-user system al la windows or Mac. I know you can log in and out of the Facebook app, and then someone else can then log in to check their Facebook, as an example. But an app on iOS cannot alter or influence the iOS operations at a global level in effect to enable some sort of multi-user system. It is just not designed that way.

EDIT: maybe I'm not getting the whole password manager deal? What is it supposed to do, become a database of each web site or app and list the passwords? What does it do with that information?

Last edited:
OP
M

Martin777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about the iPad being half finished..?? I think you misread my message again.

This is probably best answered by someone who knows what a password manager app is. Thanks anyway for trying to help.

Can anyone with experience of other password management apps confirm if any work for multiple users, and are fully finished apps?

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't say anything about the iPad being half finished..?? I think you misread my message again.

This is probably best answered by someone who knows what a password manager app is. Thanks anyway for trying to help.

Just reading here, and scratching my head a bit. Trying to find where the (I believe quite experienced) respondent trying to help with your problem has said anything about the iPad being half finished, unless I've missed something which happens.

Maybe take the initiative and do a thorough Safari search for the many password management Apps available for the iPad
Regards, Andrew

rtt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a one called e-wallet. Each wallet can have a separate passkey. Can be used on iPad and iPhone and also a PC version. To sync individual wallets and you determine which is the master device. I have been using it for years and I keep passwords, software keys, account details, serial numbers etc etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The OB said:
Just reading here, and scratching my head a bit. Trying to find where the (I believe quite experienced) respondent trying to help with your problem has said anything about the iPad being half finished, unless I've missed something which happens.

OB, I am guilty of mis-reading the post (lack of sleep :) ), so I edited the incorrect statement from my post. So now my confusion, is causing more confusion! :( I think I'll bow out of this conversation now :)

OP
M

Martin777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a one called e-wallet. Each wallet can have a separate passkey. Can be used on iPad and iPhone and also a PC version. To sync individual wallets and you determine which is the master device. I have been using it for years and I keep passwords, software keys, account details, serial numbers etc etc.

Thanks for the pointer. eWallet sounds really promising, but I couldn't find anything that said it does auto log-in or auto filling of fields on iPad? (that normally means including it's own browser in the app as mobile Safari doesn't support plugins)

rtt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the pointer. eWallet sounds really promising, but I couldn't find anything that said it does auto log-in or auto filling of fields on iPad? (that normally means including it's own browser in the app as mobile Safari doesn't support plugins)

Safari will keep login details and form details as well. if you want or there is, and probably others, iCab which will save form details etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Scienidejp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why not use 2 browsers?

I let the wife use safari and I use either chrome or dolphin browser.

Thus her passwords are on safari and mine on the other...

Deandre_012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a version of SplashID Safe [www.splashdata.com/splashid/] password manager that has customizable group-level and user-level permissions - the Enterprise Edition. I guess, with the regular version, there may also be a better way to handle you and your wife's passwords because it is highly customizable, stores and lock unlimited types of records in a more versatile way.

OP
M

Martin777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not use 2 browsers?

I let the wife use safari and I use either chrome or dolphin browser.

Thus her passwords are on safari and mine on the other...

That could get me there :). I'd ruled out using Safari to store passwords as it seems to be a black hole, no import/export means once they are added there's no getting them out..!

Do Chrome or Dolphin allow export of stored logins?

OP
M

Martin777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a version of SplashID Safe [www.splashdata.com/splashid/] password manager that has customizable group-level and user-level permissions - the Enterprise Edition. I guess, with the regular version, there may also be a better way to handle you and your wife's passwords because it is highly customizable, stores and lock unlimited types of records in a more versatile way.

Sounds good so far. Does the iPad version have a built in browser so it can auto fill/auto login? It's not clear from the info on their site.

Most reactions

Latest posts