What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MS Reader files (.lit)

dany592

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how to view these files on the IPAD? Do they need to be converted? What is a good APP to use? Thanks in advance!:D

Tibbs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know how to view these files on the IPAD? Do they need to be converted? What is a good APP to use? Thanks in advance!:D

Just google Calibre - E-book management

A bit late, but this application is awesome!

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

It has been a while since any posts were made here. Is Calibre still the "best" solution for reading lit files? Does an iPad reader exist that simulates Microsoft reader?

Thanks, Mike

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Calibre is pretty much the king of ebook management. It will convert almost any known format to the epub format so you can read in iBooks or Stanza. I'm a little surprised Apple allows this in iBooks but I can't say I am complaining. I have a ton of books that I purchased in various formats in the past and I have them all converted to epub now.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks.

My wife is thinking about giving up her HP PDA and getting a iPad. She has a ton of books she reads using microsoft reader that she does not want to lose.

Mike

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks.

My wife is thinking about giving up her HP PDA and getting a iPad. She has a ton of books she reads using microsoft reader that she does not want to lose.

Mike

That's funny ... I read all of my books on a HP PDA for years as well. Almost everything I had was in either .lit or .pdb format. Calibre will take care of both no sweat. I had almost forgot about MS Reader. That was such a cool program when it first came out and now it is all but forgotten.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am running into problems removing the drm so that Calibre can process it. I have tried Convertlit but am getting errors running ReaderKeyRecoveryTool.exe in convertlit 1.8. Very frustrating -- I have wasted a bunch of time and have gotten nowhere. Even if I can remove the drm the best that will happen is that it will be processed as a pdf which is not the best of formats...

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, it has been a LONG time since I converted my .lit files to epub as I did this right after I purchased my 2G Ipod Touch so bear with me.

When I converted mine, I used ConvertLit to strip the DRM from the books and that is all I used that program for. I did know my password already so I don't believe I needed any other tools. What you end up with after this is still a .lit file but the DRM has been stripped. Take this file and add it to Calibre. Then have Calibre convert that file to epub format and you should be good to go.

It does appear that ConvertLit has not been updated in years. Are you running a more modern OS like Vista / Win 7 (64bit)? If so, you might need to run the program in compatibility mode or as administrator.

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It Works

I was trying to get ReaderKeyRecoveryTool to work. The one sentence that did not sink in was that that tool is only needed if the file is encrypted, which her files were not. All I needed to do in ConvertLit was to Downconvert the lit file which strips off DRM5 and creates a DRM1 LIT file. That is fed into Calibre which creates the ebook. So easy once one knows the steps to take.

Thank you for your comments. They got me to reexamine what I was actually doing.

Mike

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Does the ePub format offer advantages over just reading the file with a PDF reader (e.g. Goodreader)? I have some Canon & Adobe manuals that I would like to have on the iPad. Does any method exist to transfer files between my iPad and Windows PC via wi-fi on my LAN?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikeV99 said:
Does the ePub format offer advantages over just reading the file with a PDF reader (e.g. Goodreader)? I have some Canon & Adobe manuals that I would like to have on the iPad. Does any method exist to transfer files between my iPad and Windows PC via wi-fi on my LAN?

Mike, I transfer from PC to Ipad via Dropbox (free for 2GB). I have my camera manuals on my Ipad. The Canons are offered in pdf but you have to look around for them. If you already have them, just install Dropbox on PC and the Dropbox app (all free) on the Ipad. Drag your pdf manual into your PC's Dropbox dialog box, it will appear in your Ipad Dropbox. There you can hit the. "open with" icon top right and open it in Goodreader or Ibooks or any other app that reads pdfs. I use Dropbox to transfer things all the time; photo files, docs, books from our digital library, pdfs. I backup things from Ipad on Dropbox too.

There are other methods for transferring and accessing your PC, I just don't use them since Dropbox offers me other advantages than just transferring.

Diane

MikeV99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Diane,

Thank you. I am off to check on Dropbox. Is it worth my time to use Calibre to convert the pdf to epub format?

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
MikeV99 said:
Diane,

Thank you. I am off to check on Dropbox. Is it worth my time to use Calibre to convert the pdf to epub format?

I've never used Calibre though I know about it. Perhaps others can offer some insight but for me the pdf manuals are good. In fact I expect I would prefer them for a manual because its easier to find the right page. I would import them as pdfs and try them in Ibooks and Goodreader and see what you think. Those two pdf readers have a bit different viewing experience and you might prefer one over the other. I was just looking at my 5D manual in Goodreader and then did an "open with" to Ibooks. I prefer Goodreader where I can look at the contents and find the page number for what I'm looking for and then use the page finder (icon at bottom of page) and simply type in page number and it opens. However both aree quite nice to read pdfs.

Diane

Most reactions

Latest posts