What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mr

Ranga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi this is Ranga, currently based in KL, Malaysia, as Regional Director for a global s/w company, HQ in MI, US.
Trying to put my iPad to official use - presentations, mails, etc., exploring possibilities of replacing my laptop.
feels good to be a part of this forum, hope i'll be able to learn the nitty-gritty faster being a part of this elite forum. Cheers

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Definitely the iPad can replace your laptop for about 85-90% of your work.

I use Apple's 'Pages' (to replace Word), 'Numbers' (to replace Excel) and 'Keynote' (to replace PowerPoint). On the Apple web site they have some excellent free 'User Manuals/Help Files' that can tell you what these programs can do. Of course, they're 'stripped down' versions of the full Office suite - but they can import .doc, .docx, .xls, .xlsx, .ppt and .pptx files and can export in either Office or PDF format.

As you'll know, there are literally thousands of apps out there that can cater to almost every conceivable business need - if you have a specific requirement, post your request on the Forum and you'll receive more advice than you bargained for!!

I've been using the iPad for the past three months in my role as an IT consultant and it has made life so much easier. If you're going to be doing a lot of typing a Bluetooth keyboard is a must - I use a folding keyboard as it's nice and compact, but any Bluetooth keyboard will work with the iPad.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

Tim
Scotland

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rodrigue said:
How can I download files from my lapy to my iPad...? Guys

The first way is to do it through iTunes and drag files to the relevant programs ( I.e. word documents go to pages.)

I can't be bothered with that so I use the goodreader app. If your laptop is on a wireless network your goodreader app should be able to see them. You can then view almost any file type. (this app rules!)

Dropbox or equivalent cloud storage app is pretty handy too. So save your files to Dropbox and them you can access them from either your iPad or laptop. That way you don't have to be near your laptop. You could even be in a different country!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another possibility - similar to DropBox - Apple's MobileMe cloud server iDisk. One of its advantages is that it's integrated into Apple's iWork apps for the iPad - Pages, Numbers and Keynote - so you can directly access your files from within those apps and save the results back there too. iDisk also supports a folder structure.

Another way to get files to your iPad, if you've only one or two, is to email them to yourself.

Finally, of course, you could use your iPad to access your PC/laptop remotely using an app such as GoToMyPC, which enables you to remotely control your PC, upload/download files and use the programs on your laptop remotely.

Tim
Scotland

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Add to the mix FileBrowser (my favorite) to view and read files on any device hooked to your network, DocsToGo to view, read modify and sync files on the host computer and then SplashTop Remote that will enable you to use your laptop directly from the iPad.

For a total averaging $30 bucks that's a lot of power to add to the iPad.

8nobody8

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cool isn't it? So many ways to get in formation to and fro from such a little device! I'm always in awe!!

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The key to the iPad is learning the workarounds.
There's always another way to achieve your ends.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm Just remembered reading that Dave Caolo's book on using the iPad for Business is now on the iBooks store.

OP
R

Ranga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds great. Thanks to all of you. I'll be trying all the options over the weekend and get back should i need any further guidance.

Most reactions

Latest posts