What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies.....Airstash Question

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a lot of DVD rips (my own DVD's) that are on my computer (PC - Win 7) and I watch using VLC.

I would like to get them on my iPad 2 and watch, probably using AVPlayerHD.

Is Airstash the only way to go??? Any place to buy reasonably?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for help. I am sure I will have plenty of questions and I do and have used the search.......:D

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are also hyperdrives: HyperDrive iPad Hard Drive Not sure if you don't want cables or not. I guess my question would be with the Airstash does it drain the battery quicker since you are streaming compared to if you used a hyperdrive? I don't have either but if someone has experience with them I'd be curious to hear.

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So how do the hyperdrive guys get that to work when the camera kit doesn't give enough power to use a decent sized USB drive?!

OP
dssxxxx

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hyperdrive = more money than I want to spend.

Just want to get the movies to the iPad 2.

Airstash = about $100
Hyperdrive = about $299 - 399

Still looking for some ideas.

Thanks.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash and hyperdrives are the only alternatives I have heard of. I take it your trying to avoid placing the video on the iPad so it doesn't eat up storage space?

OP
dssxxxx

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Airstash and hyperdrives are the only alternatives I have heard of. I take it your trying to avoid placing the video on the iPad so it doesn't eat up storage space?

I am just trying to download the video's I have ripped and watch them. I have paid for them and just wish to watch them the cheapest way possible.

Once I watch them, I will delete them but want the chance to load more than a few. When we go on vacation, we are gone for 7-21 days and I don't spend it all on site seeing....:D

Reaction score
dssxxxx said:
I am just trying to download the video's I have ripped and watch them. I have paid for them and just wish to watch them the cheapest way possible.

Once I watch them, I will delete them but want the chance to load more than a few. When we go on vacation, we are gone for 7-21 days and I don't spend it all on site seeing....:D

In that case streaming the video isn't an option.

You would need a jb to be able to copy movie files from external media onto your iPad, if the other two methods are too expensive. IMO they are way overpriced: $600 for a 750gb drive!

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why not use handbrake; easily and freely convert them to h.264 format.

No cost solution.

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Either rip them to h.264 and copy to the iPad from iTunes or stream them from your PC with air video. I use both methods for DVD rips.

~John

wigsajumper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or. Get VLC for the iPad. (it might no longer be in the market or cinexplayer. Then hook your iPad to the computer that you have iTunes on. Go to the apps page on iTunes. Scroll down until you see the list of apps that you can add files to. Click on your video player of choice and click on add file. Browse to your files that you want to add and then select the files. When you click open file the iPad will get a sync in progress message for a bit. Just did this over the weekend and also last night. Using VLC watched two of my movies that were transcoded in divx with no issues and then erased them from inside the program.

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
oPlayer and AirPlayer also have good streaming options.

oPlayer in particular offer a FTP capability, that allow you to FTP into your media server and copy movies directly to your iPad.

I am still a fan for H.264 Rips. With Handbrake, you can queue up all of your other formatted movies, and tell it to format your collection, come back after a day or so (depending on the size of your collection), and then add the new files to your iTunes library.

JMorton, I see you make your way around various tech forums :)

OP
dssxxxx

dssxxxx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or. Get VLC for the iPad. (it might no longer be in the market or cinexplayer. Then hook your iPad to the computer that you have iTunes on. Go to the apps page on iTunes. Scroll down until you see the list of apps that you can add files to. Click on your video player of choice and click on add file. Browse to your files that you want to add and then select the files. When you click open file the iPad will get a sync in progress message for a bit. Just did this over the weekend and also last night. Using VLC watched two of my movies that were transcoded in divx with no issues and then erased them from inside the program.

I use VLC on my PC and Netbooks - getting the iPad to replace the netbooks on all my flights (fly quite a bit).

I notice the VLC for MAC OS X is listed on the VLC website. Would this be the one to download? I still like the VLC and have never had problems playing videos in any format.

Thanks for all the replies.........first time with OS X. Windoz and Dos (giving my age) for the past 27 years....:D

Most reactions

Latest posts