What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most overrated and underrated iPad apps?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What are your recommendation for most over & under rated iPad apps?

Mine will be:

Overrated -

Notes Plus - buggy and very laggy handwriting. Noteshelf, Notetaker HD, UPAD are all better.

iWork - the lack of cloud support makes them almost unusable in spite of having best features.

Underrated -

Simplenote (I love its live sharing feature)
Springpad (far better than Evernote with offline support)
Transit map - (excellent for browsing maps of similar images)
Idea Sketch - free mind map (alternative to iThoughts HD)
Cloudreaders - best for PDF reading
Neu.Draw - better than some paid apps

Artur Szczur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
What are your recommendation for most over & under rated iPad apps?

Mine will be:

Overrated -

Notes Plus - buggy and very laggy handwriting. Noteshelf, Notetaker HD, UPAD are all better.

iWork - the lack of cloud support makes them almost unusable in spite of having best features.

Underrated -

Simplenote (I love its live sharing feature)
Springpad (far better than Evernote with offline support)
Transit map - (excellent for browsing maps of similar images)
Idea Sketch - free mind map (alternative to iThoughts HD)
Cloudreaders - best for PDF reading
Neu.Draw - better than some paid apps

Actualy, iWork (or at least Pages cause I own only this one for now) has cloud support, i've just today sent my document to box.net. You just need to go to "share and print" and "share to webDav" or sth like that :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with that too - for sure, Pages has cloud support - use it all the time.

Under-rated app - the free NASA app.

Tim

RedCoil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree with Tim that the NASA app is underrated, by my vote goes to Pulse. I like to stay well informed and having tons of news sources complied in one place is great.

For most overrated I would say iFile. I bought it after jailbreaking and wish I could get my money back. The iPad's incoherent file structure makes it basically useless, IMO.

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried Pulse, Red, and it just didn't do it for me. I tried it again and again and just stuck with Flipboard. I just felt bombarded with information with Pulse.

My most underrated app so far would probably be either iBooks, Flipboard, or GameForCats. The last is just so fantastic to get my girlfriend's fuzzballs to leave me alone (mild allergy).

OP
M

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, Pages does open box.net documents but it is not seamless cloud integration. You can't directly open and save the file on box.net. You need to import/export.

Artur Szczur

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mobi1 said:
Yes, Pages does open box.net documents but it is not seamless cloud integration. You can't directly open and save the file on box.net. You need to import/export.

I get your point, but it's not a big deal for me anyway. I guess iCloud is going to offer seamless sync, as far as I remember the presentation. ;)

Another vote for Notes Plus as an overrated app here. Used to use it and love it but after following your advice I downloaded UPAD and changed my mind. ;)
Infinity Blade is also a bit overrated, I did manage to reach level 100 but that's it. It simply gets boring...

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just felt bombarded with information with Pulse.

Of course you should use whatever app you prefer, but I'm puzzled by the "bombarded" comment. Pulse lets you choose how many sources you want, so wouldn't you just choose fewer sources if you felt overwhelmed?

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I tried Pulse, Red, and it just didn't do it for me. I tried it again and again and just stuck with Flipboard. I just felt bombarded with information with Pulse.

My most underrated app so far would probably be either iBooks, Flipboard, or GameForCats. The last is just so fantastic to get my girlfriend's fuzzballs to leave me alone (mild allergy).

agree,flipboard is one of the best.

bdegrande

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Overrated - Circus Ponies Notebook. I love the Mac app, but the iOS app is buggy and even if it weren't, should be a $10 app, not $30.

Underrated - Underscore Notify - great notes app, does everything, even handwriting recognition with an in-app purchase.

iThoughts HD - terrific mind mapping app.

Writing Kit - writing app which has the best support of Markdown I have seen, plus a research mode with a built in browser.

TuneIn Radio Pro - best radio app I have seen.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
totemynote said:
I'm with you, Tim.

Another... "ISS CDR" ... http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iss-cdr/id412445326?mt=8&ls=1 ...it's free and universal. See daily log of activities on the ISS, NASA TV and other cool stuff.

One more I forgot to include along the same lines as above... http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/infonaut/id302487955?mt=8&ls=1 ...it's from the same developer. Free but as of now it's formatted for the iPhone only. One cool thing, it'll give you location based info about when the ISS will pass over your location. It is pretty neat to see it fly over. Yes, you can see the ISS with the naked eye.

Last edited:

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just thought of another underrated one, WeatherBug. Free and paid versions, different versions for iPad and iPhone. Location based radar maps are crazy accurate. I've stood out and watched the rain start and stop exactly when it shows it overhead and accurate intensity as well. Makes the Weather Channel app look like a popsicle stand just for the radar alone.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hmm Underrated News360, Pulse, Blog shelf and River of news

Overrated Flipboard iFile and iSwifter

Most reactions

Latest posts