What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobile Banking Gets Riskier

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good Cautionary Article...

...that everyone should heed. Google has determined, and MasterCard seems to agree, that the more convenient transactions can become for the consumer, the faster we can go and live life fully!:)

This technology has its roots in our human history--striving to find a way to make life easy. I remember years ago, when PCs became readily available--in every one's home and on every desktop at work--articles were written proclaiming the advent of the paperless society.

Credit card companies have worked tirelessly to eliminate the real exchange of money. This is part of the problem we are experiencing today, too many people used up credit as if they had no idea that eventually we had to pay for our debt.

I hope we have all wised up to how easy credit use can be and that every charge represents real money. This latest technology is a really good way to forget any of the lessons we should have learned already. Although the article points out that there is no easy way to opt out of this program, there is one basic way: do not accept the invitation to add this technology to your 'smart' phone.

OP
info

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...that everyone should heed. Google has determined, and MasterCard seems to agree, that the more convenient transactions can become for the consumer, the faster we can go and live life fully!:)

This technology has its roots in our human history--striving to find a way to make life easy. I remember years ago, when PCs became readily available--in every one's home and on every desktop at work--articles were written proclaiming the advent of the paperless society.

Credit card companies have worked tirelessly to eliminate the real exchange of money. This is part of the problem we are experiencing today, too many people used up credit as if they had no idea that eventually we had to pay for our debt.

I hope we have all wised up to how easy credit use can be and that every charge represents real money. This latest technology is a really good way to forget any of the lessons we should have learned already. Although the article points out that there is no easy way to opt out of this program, there is one basic way: do not accept the invitation to add this technology to your 'smart' phone.

Agree. Unfortunately, there would seem no way of stopping this technology except by, as you say, refusing it. People will probably embrace it and weep. :)

The privacy implications are yet another matter...

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I simply assume that my CC will be misappropriated and therefore, I do not use a CC or debit card on-line. I also assume that every post or email message will end up on-line so I watch my words. For all I know, I might want to run for President of Android Forums or Canada and I do not want my words to come back around and bite me on the iPad.

I do, however, use Visa Gift Cards when I need to order on-line. It takes more effort, but I'll sacrifice a bit of convenience for safety and security. I change cards every few months so who cares if my numbers are stolen; the card will be dead and used up so it really does not matter.

I just ordered some parts on-line and used a gift card. Spent it all except for a few dollars. Next order for parts is larger so I'll use a personal check or money order.

Gang . . . just assume you will likely be a victim and if you are comfortable with taking a chance, Go with God, my Sons. And daughters, for that matter.

OP
info

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gang . . . just assume you will likely be a victim and if you are comfortable with taking a chance, Go with God, my Sons. And daughters, for that matter.

In other words, we can all probably do more. Last night I was watching a 60 minutes segment from a couple of weeks back on identity theft and it's connection to meth. It illustrated (to some extent) how easy it was for people to hack accounts of different types. I'm going to make a note to self to tighten things up right away. :D

Last edited:

AdityaSinha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Matt! to an extent I do agree with you. there is prons and cons associated with every new technology, I guess. It's all on us how do we use it. Well, I suppose mobile banking is just an option to opt for saving your time and make life a bit easy. I use hdfc's iOS mobile banking to know my credit card's real time billing summary and I also create a reminder on my phone to pay the bills on the date I have decided to pay.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Matt! to an extent I do agree with you. there is prons and cons associated with every new technology, I guess. It's all on us how do we use it. Well, I suppose mobile banking is just an option to opt for saving your time and make life a bit easy. I use hdfc's iOS mobile banking to know my credit card's real time billing summary and I also create a reminder on my phone to pay the bills on the date I have decided to pay.
Hello AdityaSinha and welcome to the forum. Nice to see you posting but you've joined a discussion thread that is now over two years old and it's unlikely that those members will be returning here now. We'll close this thread now. Continue to contribute and enjoy this forum.:)
Andrew
........................................... Thread Closed ................................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts