What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mirror NetFlix??

larla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It seems like if you use the new IOS5 video mirror capability to display streamed video on your TV that you will be doubly transferring the the video data over wifi: once from netflix to the Ipad and once from Ipad to Apple TV.

Of course, the 2nd transfer is only occurring within your local area network but it still seems like it might cause problems for the wifi throughput.

I looked at some mirroring videos but none of them were showing streamed content being mirrored.

Would this be a problem --

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In almost all cases your home network has a bandwidth several times greater than your internet connection. On the other hand, I have no idea how efficient the local stream will be. Guess we'll have to wait and see what happens when it is available.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF.

But, why would you mirror them through apple tv? Just watch them with the apple tv instead of going through the iPad and then to the tv.

OP
L

larla

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, for Netflix, going directly to Apple TV would be better except for right now Ipad supports closed captioning and Apple TV doesn't. Hopefully, Apple TV will have that soon anyway.

However, for something like HBO Go (or any other video streaming that is not supported natively on Apple TV) the concern is still valid.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dunno if Netflix would mirror anyway. It uses video out, and I'm assuming iOS 5 will support video out over airplay as well as mirroring...?

But, yeah, AppleTV already has Netflix (as well as almost every other device in the world.) Does AppleTV support 1080p Netflix? Curious because I may be getting it soon and wondering if Netflix through it would be as good as Netflix through the Xbox 360.

ajricaud

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dunno if Netflix would mirror anyway. It uses video out, and I'm assuming iOS 5 will support video out over airplay as well as mirroring...?

But, yeah, AppleTV already has Netflix (as well as almost every other device in the world.) Does AppleTV support 1080p Netflix? Curious because I may be getting it soon and wondering if Netflix through it would be as good as Netflix through the Xbox 360.
Currently Apple TV outputs 720p max. A couple of the Roku models output 1080p and some reviewers prefer Roku's implementation of Netflix over Apple TV's.

Most reactions

Latest posts