What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Word/office users HELP! I want to edit word on Ipad

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi al. I don't know if anyone can help/advise. I want to buy an Ipad but want to know if I can open and edit word docs. I am a writer and want to buy an Ipad but only if I can edit word docs. I know it does lots of other great stuff but this is the one thing I really need. Does anyone know if you can TETHER? I have an Iphone 4 and I would be nice to use the data between the two devices. Thanks so much all, Cheers, Alan

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Documents to Go can read and create the latest office formats. There are some others as well. None are anywhere close to as robust as Word, but they will do the trick for basic functions. Get a free dropbox for easy transferring your files between any computer and your iPad.

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
The new version of pages is supposed to as well, but I have not tried it. I have used Quickoffice and Office HD2. Both have some quirks but both work.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I would have to put my vote to Documents 2 Go. They have been around since the Palm and WinCE days and each version adds improvements.

Also, Docs2Go allows editing of Word, Excel and Publisher for the same cost as just one of the iWorks products.

You will not have the same editing functionality that is within Word in any other editor built to edit the same files. These editors are meant only to allow quick editing, not as a replacement.

michali

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@ deckyon...can Docs2Go read and edit Publisher?

OP
L

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the simple editing funcition is really all I am after (writing a book for example). And it would work either way? In other words if I created a document on the Ipad, could I import it to word which is where all the formatting for publication would be done. What's the easiest ay of getting the document from one place to the othr? Via the camera/sd option? I would think that's easy if the Ipad can handle it. While I am at it, does anyone have jailbreak? If so, do you have to keep using the ipod function to play media? Or would vlc work? I did see a vlc for iphone but somewhere but haven't been able to find it again. Is the Ipad as "apple-centric" as my Iphone 4 is (and 3Gs for that matter)....

Last edited:
OP
L

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just by way of a quick update, i now have doc 2 go on my iphone so will have a play with it before getting my ipad. I'll let you know how it goes. Let me know if there are any tips for transferring files between pc and ipad/iphone. Cheers, Alan (docs to go is $19.99 here in australia so worth a trial)

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pages will allow you to open and edit doc files. docx you will be able to open but you must save it in doc. personally after doing some research i prefer pages over the other guys. the biggest shortcoming of pages however is that you cannot save your work to the cloud, you have to email to yourself or just simply save it on the ipad.

rkelac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pages will allow you to open and edit doc files. docx you will be able to open but you must save it in doc. personally after doing some research i prefer pages over the other guys. the biggest shortcoming of pages however is that you cannot save your work to the cloud, you have to email to yourself or just simply save it on the ipad.

Pages will save to MobileMe and some other cloud services. However, right now it won't save to DropBox.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pages will save to MobileMe and some other cloud services. However, right now it won't save to DropBox.
true, but i will never consider a paid could service so mobile me can go to.... you know where.

OP
L

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
damn!

Why does Apple have to be so obtuse. Save to a cloud!!!! Good grief. I thought I might be able to drag a doc off an sd via the camera attachment since the pad doesn't have usb or sd ports and you don't seem to be able to transfer files via bluetoothnor WIfi. I don't get why apple doesn't just allow you to use your tablet like a tablet and not a really big Ipod. Then again I don't know why they want you to use your iphone like an ipod that makes phone calls either. Why do they make things so difficult? Itunes is simply a way for them to try and prevent doanloading and playing of media that isn't paid for. It doesn't work of course, I don't know anyone with net access who hasn't downloaded video and music.

matt_90036

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I knew it before I bought my iPad. But that is one of the reasons I don't buy iPods anymore. I don't think I will ever buy a MacBook either. I also think that with enough time jailbreaks will offer more functionality.

Gabriel1964

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quickoffice connect user here, happy with it and it connects to both my dropbox accounts (one for work one for personal stuff) and my googledocs account. Editing functions are basic but adequate for what I need.

OP
L

lanimae

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I finally got the IPad. I got docs to go and drop box. I think I should be good to go. I haven't had a chance to play with yet as after the first sync I thought it best to charge it though it seems to be %95 charged. While I'm here, does anyone know if emoji works on IPad? I can't seem to get it going.

Most reactions

Latest posts