What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Media server problem

psionguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my first ipad and although I am finding it very interesting it is also quite frustrating. One area I am struggling with is being able to stream content from my HP micro server running WHS11. The best Ihave found so far is ML player light which sees all my servers and plays MP4 video and the majority of my music collection. But it is unable to play any other video format so not that great. I have also looked at Media Player,dreMote lite, and Yamp with little success. Is it possible to achieve and find a player that can be seen by my Ipad like ML Player but also handle a few more file types, happy to pay for the right APP if there is one out there?

Last edited:

chadwell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed PLEX Media server on my NAS - and then installed the client on my iPad. It works well and streams most content. Other people highly rate AirVideo too. Again - you will need to install the software on your HP mIcro and get the client app for your ipad.

OP
P

psionguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I installed PLEX Media server on my NAS - and then installed the client on my iPad. It works well and streams most content. Other people highly rate AirVideo too. Again - you will need to install the software on your HP mIcro and get the client app for your ipad.

Appreciate your reply. There seems to be 2 different types of media streaming server, VLC streaming and plex which requires you to have software on your pc or server as well as an app on you ipad and the other type like 8player which you just download an app on your ipad and it then sees your pc and servers which I prefer. Unfortunately to date I have not had much success with either, 8player seems to handle most file types and is very easy to set up but does seem to struggle with HD content. With regards to VLC I have not managed to make a connection between my server and Ipad, suspect this is a port forwarding issue. It does seem to me that Apple make it more difficult to achieve media streaming on their products as they want you to use itunes store for your video content, or am I being cynical.

Thanks again for your advice.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts