What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Max bitrate for 1080p mp4 playback?

cjd1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the maximum bitrate the 3rd gen iPad can play 1080p mp4 files is? I read that 5000 kbps is a good bitrate for playback, but I usually watch 1080p mkv files at at least 12 kbps so this seems kind of low? Has anyone tried to play a large file with a high bitrate?

Thanks!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
cjd1978 said:
Hey guys,

Does anyone know what the maximum bitrate the 3rd gen iPad can play 1080p mp4 files is? I read that 5000 kbps is a good bitrate for playback, but I usually watch 1080p mkv files at at least 12 kbps so this seems kind of low? Has anyone tried to play a large file with a high bitrate?

Thanks!

How does your video look? Is it crappy? If so, then you need to use a higher bit rate. But if you like what you see, then don't worry about it.

OP
C

cjd1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still deciding on whether to purchase or not and this is a big part of the equation. If the video chip can only handle around 5000 kbps 1080p mp4 files than that might be a deal breaker since I'm primarily going to use this as a portable movie player for use during my morning (boring) cardio sessions. One would notice the difference between 5000 kbps and >12000 kbps I think. At least I can on my flat screen.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm still deciding on whether to purchase or not and this is a big part of the equation. If the video chip can only handle around 5000 kbps 1080p mp4 files than that might be a deal breaker since I'm primarily going to use this as a portable movie player for use during my morning (boring) cardio sessions. One would notice the difference between 5000 kbps and >12000 kbps I think. At least I can on my flat screen.

Man...you're talking about a 10-inch screen. If you are more than a foot away, it is hard to believe you can see much difference.

Just get a copy of handbrake and rip the movies. A quick glance at several of my rips show around 1600-2200 kbps total bit rate. These are from blu-ray and smashed down to about 2GB in size. Going much higher in bitrate just makes for a large file and longer transfer times. For viewing on a 10-inch screen for watching while doing cardio, going any more is a waste. Of course, I would not tolerate these on a large screen, but then that's where I use the actual bluray.

Anyway...I did manage to find one rip that has a total bitrate of 4300 kbps. It plays fine on the iPad.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where do you find the Bit Rate of a Video File ? I have quite a bit of 1080P Videos but dont know at what rate were they encoded ! so...

OP
C

cjd1978

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man...you're talking about a 10-inch screen. If you are more than a foot away, it is hard to believe you can see much difference.

Just get a copy of handbrake and rip the movies. A quick glance at several of my rips show around 1600-2200 kbps total bit rate. These are from blu-ray and smashed down to about 2GB in size. Going much higher in bitrate just makes for a large file and longer transfer times. For viewing on a 10-inch screen for watching while doing cardio, going any more is a waste. Of course, I would not tolerate these on a large screen, but then that's where I use the actual bluray.

Anyway...I did manage to find one rip that has a total bitrate of 4300 kbps. It plays fine on the iPad.

Okay yeah I get what you're saying. On a big flat screen you have less pixel density and so you need a higher resolution. On a small compact screen, being 2 feet away is like being 10 feet away from a 50 in or whatever. I'm sure 5000 kbps 1080p files will look great. Now should I get 16 GB or pay $100 more and get double the space? hmmmmm?

Thanks for your help.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay yeah I get what you're saying. On a big flat screen you have less pixel density and so you need a higher resolution. On a small compact screen, being 2 feet away is like being 10 feet away from a 50 in or whatever. I'm sure 5000 kbps 1080p files will look great. Now should I get 16 GB or pay $100 more and get double the space? hmmmmm?

Thanks for your help.

That's a harder question. If you main thing is just movies....well, it's still not easy. If you are doing your cardio a lot, you may want a lot of different things to watch. The 32GB might be best.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Where do you find the Bit Rate of a Video File ? I have quite a bit of 1080P Videos but dont know at what rate were they encoded ! so...

I imported my rips into iTunes and if you right click and pick "Get Info" it will tell you a lot of info about the file.

Most reactions

Latest posts