What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maven Broswer - a threat?

mackerelthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

So I wanted to adjust my email filters in Gmail the other day, and since this is impossible in the iPad mail app and I didn't feel like trying to get past the mobile Gmail in Safari, I turned to one of the alternative browsers I had downloaded - Maven. I went in and made the fix, and all was good and well.

Then, the next morning, I logged into this email account to make sure I had set the filter up properly. To my surprise, an automated spam mail had been composed and sent without my knowledge to a bunch of people in my address book containing a link... Fortunately Gmail in its wonderful wisdom detected that it was spam and blocked it from actually being delivered (thank god!).

I was wondering where this would have come from... This is an old email address that I rarely log on to. I hadn't used it for probably a week prior... And then after using this Maven browser all of a sudden weird stuff starts happening? Maven is really highly ranked in the App store, so I was doubtful... But finding no other logical reason, I have deleted Maven from my iPad.

What do you think? Was it Maven or something else? Is it possible for a rogue browser to manipulate my account like this after I have entered my password once?

Last edited:

ipad2forfree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ipad2forfree.co.uk
change your password, then see if it reoccurs, im sure google will catch out any other spam, so if it does reoccurr just get rid of it to be on the safe side

info

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mackerelthecat said:
Hey Everyone,

So I wanted to adjust my email filters in Gmail the other day, and since this is impossible in the iPad mail app and I didn't feel like trying to get past the mobile Gmail in Safari, I turned to one of the alternative browsers I had downloaded - Maven. I went in and made the fix, and all was good and well.

Then, the next morning, I logged into this email account to make sure I had set the filter up properly. To my surprise, an automated spam mail had been composed and sent without my knowledge to a bunch of people in my address book containing a link... Fortunately Gmail in its wonderful wisdom detected that it was spam and blocked it from actually being delivered (thank god!).

I was wondering where this would have come from... This is an old email address that I rarely log on to. I hadn't used it for probably a week prior... And then after using this Maven browser all of a sudden weird stuff starts happening? Maven is really highly ranked in the App store, so I was doubtful... But finding no other logical reason, I have deleted Maven from my iPad.

What do you think? Was it Maven or something else? Is it possible for a rogue browser to manipulate my account like this after I have entered my password once?

I've been trying Maven out and searched the web fairly well without having found any mention of anything tying it to a virus or or to malware of any kind. If anyone sees anything please let me know...

Most reactions