What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Manually upgrade

Simpson1190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought my iPad and it was preloaded with 2.2.2. I know there is no untethered jailbreak for 4.3 yet. But there is newer versions then 2.2.2 that can be jail broken. Is there a way to manually upgrade to 4.2.6 and jail break it so that I have some of the features that 2.2.2 doesn't have?

Last edited by a moderator:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Damn, 2.2.2. Thats old. U may have missed the train buddy. The latest iOS I seen that can be jail broken, the untethered way, is 4.2.1. No way u can get that iOS from apple servers as now the newest version is 4.3. The only jailbreak out for that is a tethered one using Snowbreeze on windows or Pwnage tool on Macs. The only possible way for u to find iOS 4.2.1 is to search for it on the web, then install n upgrade to that. When u do, go to Greenpoison.com and download the tool for either windows or Mac. Then install on ur PC/Mac, follow the directions(easy n simple) then jailbrake and ur done. Untethered jail brakes are the best as u can reboot as many times as u want n still be jailbroken. With a tethered jailbreak, u have to reboot Into jailbroken state therefore needing a PC/Mac everytime u reboot. That SUX and is a hassle IMO. Good luck!

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just read a recent post by f4780y that may be bad news for you. If u never had 4.2.1 b4 and didn't save the shsh blobs using tiny umbrella or cydia, YOu Are Stuck with only upgrading to 4.3. Reason being, apple won't sign to 4.2.1 since iOS 4.3 is the official release now. If u had the shsh blobs saved, u could use tiny umbrella to serve them up to iTunes and it would let u upgrade to the 4.2.1 iOS, if u found it. Sorry bro, 4.3 may be the only way to go for u. At least there is some form of jailbrake avai. So far for it, being the tethered one. There probaly won't be an untethered one because apple plans on releasing 4.3.1 very soon that closes up some exploits. Hackers already said they gonna wait till 4.3.1 to release an untethered jailbreak.

OP
S

Simpson1190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I found the 4.2 firmware online but when I try and restore it through iTunes an error occurs when it is trying to verify it with apple.

So there is a tethered jailbreak for 4.3? For some reason that it was only available if you have Mac, I have windows.

I really do not want to loose my jailbreak but here is a lot of apps that I can't instal because I need version 4.x.

Now a tethered jailbreak just requires you to start the iPad through the jailbreak application, right? So if you hardly reboot, then it isn't that big of hassle is it?

Can anybody provide me with a link to good instructions on a tethered jailbreak for 4.3 using windows?

Thanks

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yah, it won't let u install it because apple no longer signs/authorizes that iOS anymore. U would've hadmto have the shsh blobs from that iOS saved in order to install it. Although I did start a thread here in hacking section showing a link to windows version of tethered jailbreak of iOS 4.3, here ya go
Jailbreak 4.3 on Windows iPhone 4, 3GS, iPad, iPod touch Using Sn0wbreeze 2.3 [Guide] | Redmond Pie
Also, if u hardly reboot, yeah it's hardly a hassle then but what about if ur iPad acts funny or u install something causing it to reboot, then u r stuck until u get to ur desktop again. Good luck!

OP
S

Simpson1190

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well so I decided to do a tethered jailbreak. I first download tiny umbrella and saved my shsh blobs. I saved it locally but I was unsure if it saved to the server.

I then installed the tethered jailbreak with snowflake.

I worked good at first but then my iPad started to act glitchy. It kept wanting to go into safe mode. Plus a lot of cydia apps are not updated for 4.3. One app that is a must have IMOP is backgrounder but it wouldn't install. So frustrated, I decided to downgrade back to 3.2. But I couldn't get iTunes to do it. I'm assuming it was because the shsh blobs weren't on cydias server. That part is kind of over my head.

So I had no choice but to restore and update to 4.3. So no more jailbreak.

I do have my shsh blobs saved on my computer. can anybody explain to me how to downgrade to 3.2.2 so that I get my jailbreak back?

I guess I can wait if needed, on redmondpie.com it was announced that the untethered jailbreak may be available next week.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well so I decided to do a tethered jailbreak. I first download tiny umbrella and saved my shsh blobs. I saved it locally but I was unsure if it saved to the server.

I then installed the tethered jailbreak with snowflake.

I worked good at first but then my iPad started to act glitchy. It kept wanting to go into safe mode. Plus a lot of cydia apps are not updated for 4.3. One app that is a must have IMOP is backgrounder but it wouldn't install. So frustrated, I decided to downgrade back to 3.2. But I couldn't get iTunes to do it. I'm assuming it was because the shsh blobs weren't on cydias server. That part is kind of over my head.

So I had no choice but to restore and update to 4.3. So no more jailbreak.

I do have my shsh blobs saved on my computer. can anybody explain to me how to downgrade to 3.2.2 so that I get my jailbreak back?

I guess I can wait if needed, on redmondpie.com it was announced that the untethered jailbreak may be available next week.
Yeah, I stRted a thread posting the good news. U in luck..lol

Most reactions

Latest posts