What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Man Buys Fake iPad From Walmart and they Refuse to Refund Him

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0BEQJuDrTc[/ame]​

Check out this story from 9to5 Mac! It centres around the sorry tale of a man from Atlanta, Georgia, who bought what he thought was a genuine iPad at his local Walmart store, only to find when he unboxed it at home that it was a fake iPad, possibly some sort of display prop. The outer casing is exactly the same as that of a real iPad, but the innards consist of nothing more substantial than a fake display with a photograph of the home screen.

Naturally the man went straight back to Walmart to get a refund, but the store has refused to give him one. The expert interviewed in the local news report, as per the above video, reckons that maybe someone bought a real iPad, took it home, then swapped it with the dummy version and returned it for a refund, keeping the real iPad. Walmart says that the whole situation is Apple’s fault, as they deal with exchanges when Walmart sells their products. The customer in question is now saying that he will sue Walmart if they don’t refund him his money.

Source: Walmart sells man fake iPad, won’t refund it | 9 to 5 Mac Walmart sells man fake iPad, won’t refund it | Apple Intelligence

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Interesting. Whose to say HE didn't switch it out ~ he seems ligit. But who knows. I would be raising holy hell, though, if it was me. Seems he went and got another one ~ I could not do that without getting my money back first.

AkainePSP

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If he did it why would he go buy another one. That doesn't even make sense. So I personally don't believe any theft was involved. Does go to show me though that before I buy an upgrade (when they do come out) I will definitely be making the store take it out of the box and prove it is not a fake. Kind of a buyer beware type thing.

Grandad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Walmart

I have been to the USA twice in my life, (hope to make that more in the future) and from the moment I stepped off the plane to the time we went home, we were met with nothing but kindness politeness and civility. Nothing was too much trouble!
Except in Walmart........where for some reason we were treated like a pork chop at a bar mitzvah! ( Oh and this lady in the local Walgreens who took a dislike to all English people apparently!) :confused:

daveathall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been to the USA twice in my life, (hope to make that more in the future) and from the moment I stepped off the plane to the time we went home, we were met with nothing but kindness politeness and civility. Nothing was too much trouble!
Except in Walmart........where for some reason we were treated like a pork chop at a bar mitzvah! ( Oh and this lady in the local who took a dislike to all English people apparently!) :confused:

I must admit that is how I was treated on my one trip to the USA, I found it so refreshing that everyone was so polite and very well mannered, nothing was too much trouble, this was in San Francisco and Seattle.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My question would be, where did whoever switched it out get a dummy iPad?

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also don't believe that this guy would buy one from an Apple Store, go on TV, and file a lawsuit if he had been the one to switch it out.

If he had been the one to switch it out he would already have a real iPad, and logically wouldn't pursue the matter any further.

Best thing for WalMart to do is to refund this guy, and investigate the matter internally.

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm rockin out to country..

but did it mention when he bought it, if it was wrapped in plastic or not?

If it's a true iPad case (at least the back), wouldn't the serial number match up to the box?? Fake ipad, same serial on box..no brainer.

pricej636

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At least here, Wal-mart has been dealing with a ton of fraudulent returns and exchanges. Of course its the honest people that have real problems with a purchased item because of the dishonest people out there.

maryinredding

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess we will have to start opening stuff in the store to see if it's ok. I remember getting a game at Walmart one time, taking it home and the game card was missing. I returned to the store immediately, and they had me go back to the department and get another one. I opened it in front of the clerk before leaving the store. I think this happens more than we know.

beendala

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I plugged in the fast track to my computer and pressed the power button on the back. a blue light turns on in the front.

concu88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also don't believe that this guy would buy one from an Apple Store, go on TV, and file a lawsuit if he had been the one to switch it out.

If he had been the one to switch it out he would already have a real iPad, and logically wouldn't pursue the matter any further.

Best thing for WalMart to do is to refund this guy, and investigate the matter internally.

Agree with you but sometime you don't feel like digging deep into the thing I'd have been happy to get a new Ipad (not the fake one again :D )

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I agree it needs to be investigated internally. Does make you wonder what's what.

Most reactions

Latest posts