What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Malware?

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot use Safari. Every time I try to use it, a pop up occurs saying I need to install Apus Launcher to increase my speed. I am afraid to click OK for fear it is malware.

I can use Google, email, etc., but not Safari.

Is this Malware, and how in the world do I get rid of it?

Many thanks.

Kadee

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Clear history and website data in Settings - Safari, and force close Safari (double tap Home button the show multitask bar, slide thumbnail above Safari app icon towards the top of the screen).

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Clear history and website data in Settings - Safari, and force close Safari (double tap Home button the show multitask bar, slide thumbnail above Safari app icon towards the top of the screen).
Thank you very much.

I did all of that, but what do I do once the multitask bar appears?

Is this malware or a legitimate program?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
An app won't help increasing your speed. And it's not possible to install software on a stock iPad, afaik.

When you see the multitask bar, slide upwards:
image.jpg

This thread could help as well, if my suggestions don't remove the popup:
http://www.ipadforums.net/threads/s...-obscene-ads-popping-up-on-my-new-air.119269/

OP
K

Kadee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again, much appreciated.

I accidentally got into the Control Center. Hopefully, this will take care of it. I do have Lookout, but it did not catch it.

Do you know of any good anti-virus programs I can get thru the App Center for the Ipad air?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you very much.

I did all of that, but what do I do once the multitask bar appears?

Is this malware or a legitimate program?

Well, let me google 'Apus Launcher' for you - ;) Seems to be an app for the Android OS, so will do you no good - as to 'malware' an umbrella term for any type of malicious or irritating software, you likely have an 'adware' popup - not sure why it is occurring on your iOS device?

Follow Johanna's excellent advice - if still not effective, first 'turn off' your Wi-Fi to the iPad, then repeat the steps (being sure to clear your history & 'force close' Safari) - reconnect to Wi-Fi and see what happens - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 6.07.24 PM.png

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you read the thread I've added in my last post, you'll find an app that will help blocking popups.

You won't need anitivirus software. The iPad is different to Windows and Android.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks so much everyone. What a fantastic group. Everything seems to be working now. Much appreciated!

Hi Kadee - glad that you're back in business! :) But, just to help others who may come to this thread - did you need to turn off your Wi-Fi and follow Johanna's step or was the adware cleared w/ you Wi-Fi on?

I'm on another Mac Forums and browser malware, especially 'ransomware' is almost impossible to rid w/o first disconnecting from Wi-Fi and then following the steps provided. Dave

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, time will tell. I am keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks.

What you were experiencing was a pop-up ad that had been installed from a website that you (or someone using your iPad) had visited with Safari. You might want to check your Privacy and Security settings in Settings-Safari:

e21aa2a1e82423e0867af128863c320a.jpg

In the screenshot above, those are the setting that I use and I don't have problems with pop-up ads.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Most reactions