What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Making back ups of DVD's

ValkXb70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My kids keep scratching the f**k out of their DVD's. Is there a way to make an exact duplicate of the originals so I can just re-make a copy when it stops playing?

lrg32

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well you have many options for this:

a. If you have 2 dvd drives on your computer you can easily rip and burn a dvd in under 20 mins.

b. If you only have 1 dvd drive youd have to rip it to your computer 1st then swap in the blank dvd and burn.

c. You can rip all your dvds to your computer and convert them to a smaller file (ex. avi) then just stream movies as opposed to playing dvds all the time. This can easily be setup and done using an xbox 360 or ps3.

Im on a mac so im not sure about programs you can use to do this all if youre on a windows pc. But if you have a mac use instant handbrake to convert dvds to other formats, or use Toast to rip and burn.

Hope this helps....

OP
V

ValkXb70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can add a second drive easily enough. I'm on a pc so i will need software for that, anyone else got software suggestions.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Handbrake is a free download and I believe it can also rip dvds as well as reduce their size and convert them into mv4's for the iPad.

You will need to read the documentation, faq first though.
HandBrake

OP
V

ValkXb70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will look into handbrake. Thanks for the suggestion. Another option I have been thinking about is one of those sling boxes (I think thats what they are called). Then hosting the videos on my computer and the kids can watch from there. I worry that might be above my computer knowledge though lol.

Paddalin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd not recommend to use two DVD drives. Better buffer the DVD onto the harddrive as it is faster and it makes sure to serve data fast enough for the writing drive. Better invest in quality CD-Rs.

Most reactions

Latest posts