What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magnetic IPad Mount

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
This is my latest creation.
8c54aa38.jpg
iPad refrigerator mounts. These were printed on a 3d printer and had 4 .25 inch diameter neodymium magnets attached to each. Protects your iPad from drops and spills as well as allowing you to attach it to any magnetic flat metal surface. You can download the Stl file to print your own at iPad Magnetic Mount by Linkreincarnate - Thingiverse. As always you can also find details on my website Linkreincarnate
Enjoy!

iPad-Sweden

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The idea Is simple and a good one but just a question.

And how does the Magnetics effect the iPads electronics ?

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The idea Is simple and a good one but just a question.

And how does the Magnetics effect the iPads electronics ?

the ipad can be affected by the magnet depend only on the power of the magnet, i have kill one ipad 3G with a cover with really strong magnet , lucky apple exchange without any problem…

But the the idea is really good need to test the magnet power

OP
Linkreincarnate

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
The magnets are over the edges of the iPad. if you look at take apart videos of the iPad you'll see that there are no electronics under the black rim but the headphone and power jack. i've had them on for two days now without issue.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@ivan , maybe you don’t need but you’re wife will like to have it in that place :)

@Linkreincarnate , i can’t say is all 100% of the iPad owner will get trouble with the magnet, but we experience problem with two of our 6 ipad in the company with cover with strong magnet

based on your link you have 16 magnet for fix well the iPad (4 by corner), so i guess that will have the chance to some device to give hassle to some user

but i repeat this is a genius idea , just should be carefully tested on many device

Joker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good thinking, though I'm sure the magnet would effect the 3G version. and btw try cleaning your iPad from time 2 time, it look so miserable and dusty.:(:D

OP
Linkreincarnate

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
Good thinking, though I'm sure the magnet would effect the 3G version. and btw try cleaning your iPad from time 2 time, it look so miserable and dusty.:(:D

1.The iPad uses flash memory. Flash memory is not susceptible to magnetic interference. Hard drives are but the ipad doesn't use those. Neither are lcds. you only get the rainbow effect on CRT screens because that type of tv uses magnets to aim the ray guns.
2. It is over the corners where there is no immediate hardware to interfere with.
3. I've had them on my 3G ipad for at least 4 days now without issue. maybe more but I'm too lazy to look it up...
4. I should clean my ipad more often...:D

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can't shield a magnet, or compasses wouldn't work in lead rooms - most modern solid-state electronics are totally immune anyway.

IpadOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
magnet can kill iPad

You can't shield a magnet, or compasses wouldn't work in lead rooms - most modern solid-state electronics are totally immune anyway.

Hi Numblock, allow me to told you are wrong thinking like this , we destroy 3 iPad using magnet in cover and special products , in theory you are right but in practice is not exactly like this some part are immune but unfortunately not all element in the iPad are protected if you want to try i can send you at my expense some cover with magnet and let you destroy by your self your own iPad

OP
Linkreincarnate

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
I would be interested in getting some of those killer cases. Where was the magnet located on the case? Was it on a flap covering the ipad. If that was the case then it could be the motion of opening and closing the case that was causing your issues. Or the motion of sliding your ipad into the case. Magnets do not just cause a charge by sitting somewhere. You have to apply motion relative to some material suceptible to induction. An unshielded copper wire for instance. Think of those shake powered flashlights. You have to shake a magnet through a copper coil to build a charge. When you dont shake the flashlight you dont get any current and thusly stay in the dark. Same principal but substitute shaking for opening and closing or sliding. This could explain why my refridgerator mounts play nice with my ipad but your case eats ipads. What material are they. How big? In any case the only problem I've had with this is keeping the magnets attatched to the plastic. I'm working on version 2 with countersunk holes for the magnets and holes for attaching a drawstring. I imagine if there were any adveres affects to my ipad I'd have seen them by now. You also could have just gotten a faulty batch of ipads. It happens.

Most reactions

Latest posts