What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lpr Printing?

TreyUF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since 4.3 I know a lot of new changes has happened. I work for a university and we are trying to get printing up for IPad. Since we charge for printing, we want to create an app for free to allow them to print to our printers. Since we charge for print jobs, the users print to a server with a print queue and then release the job.

What I want to know is how do I set the printer in code if the address is something like lpd:\\servername.ad.edu:print-queue ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry - but I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have exactly the same problem at my University! So I'm subscribing to this thread to see what answers you get!

Tim
Scotland

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Its not going to work like that.
the only options apple gives developers is the ability to enable printing inside of an app. You dont get any fine tuned options like setting up printers and all that. The ipad just scans for compatable network printers and prompts the user to choose what printer to print to.

You can run AirPrint Hactivator(windows + Mac) on a Computer that is already setup to print to the printer. This will cause the printer to be shared on the network and visible to all ipads on the network.

This will then allow them to print from any ipad app that supports printing and you can charge them when they go to pick up the pages.

Most reactions