What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Low Memory!! Is there an app for that?

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK. Yes I only have a 16 Ipad. (till the 3Gs come out.)

Short Version:
Got "Low Memory" warning today !
Is there an App to help manage the memory usage?

(to list what apps/items are using what amount of memory?)

Yes... Of COURSE I have installed many apps.
  • Lots of News apps. (Reuters, NPR, NYT, BBC, Weather Channel, several others)
  • Lots of the solitaire apps
  • Several simple games. None of the really high graphic ones.
  • Sticky notes, Drawing programs.
  • Lots of other apps.
  • NO music yet.
  • NO photos yet.
  • I haven't even started syncing any files from the desktop machine.

So, is there anything that will help me analyze where my heavy memory use is?

(This may help me decide which 3G to get.)

Last edited:
OP
stever

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgot to mention....
It reports 13 of 14 G used.

I have deleted several things,
and it still says 14 available, 13 used.

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In iTunes you can see the size of each of the apps in the Apps tab under the iPad sync screen. This might be the best way to determine how to clean up your installed apps. Just scroll through the list and look at the apps and uncheck a combination of apps that you don't use and have a large footprint. Or begin to make selective choices... two similar new apps, usually use one, the other is good but takes up a lot of space.

Still I am surprised that you can fill up the iPad with just apps (no music, movies, podcasts, etc). I have some pretty hefty sized apps and my current footprint of apps is under 2 GB. Granted, my Navigation app is only installed on my iPhone. Otherwise, Myst is my only app that is over 120 MB. And most are well under.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go into iTunes and see how much "other" memory you are using. Other is data that some apps leave behind, sometimes it can get really high and the best solution is to backup and restore.

Eochs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for system ram, I've been using an app called free memory on my iPhones for years, and now on the ipad. Cleans up all the junk left in resident memory from poorly written apps, restores full speed on a slow os without rebooting

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As for system ram, I've been using an app called free memory on my iPhones for years, and now on the ipad. Cleans up all the junk left in resident memory from poorly written apps, restores full speed on a slow os without rebooting

Does it remove "Other" data?

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury,

I am not sure that you are correct about Other... at least my interpretation of what you are saying. When an app is deleted from the iPhone OS it removes all related files (the proverbial "sandbox") which should remove any "other". This is part of the reason that Apple setup the sandbox for each apps so that it would not leave behind scattered files, as happens in Mac OS.

The Other probably includes all of the added application data that has been created. This can be files uploaded via Air Sharing, Cached Emails, Saved Games, etc. Now if this is particularly large, I don't know of an easy way to identify which app is the holder of that data. I know mine on the iPad is currently over 500 MB, but I've also thrown a bunch of PDF into Good Reader, and some good sized files into Pages and Numbers. Plus all of my other activities.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gentlefury,

I am not sure that you are correct about Other... at least my interpretation of what you are saying. When an app is deleted from the iPhone OS it removes all related files (the proverbial "sandbox") which should remove any "other". This is part of the reason that Apple setup the sandbox for each apps so that it would not leave behind scattered files, as happens in Mac OS.

The Other probably includes all of the added application data that has been created. This can be files uploaded via Air Sharing, Cached Emails, Saved Games, etc. Now if this is particularly large, I don't know of an easy way to identify which app is the holder of that data. I know mine on the iPad is currently over 500 MB, but I've also thrown a bunch of PDF into Good Reader, and some good sized files into Pages and Numbers. Plus all of my other activities.

Other is any data created by apps...sometimes it is cache data sometimes it is user created content, if you delete the app it should take the data with it...my iPod touch had something like 3GB of other on it...I had to refresh the device to get rid of it.

CGPanama

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is interesting. From my reading of the developer docs, all of the application created data (caches, plist, sql databases, etc) are stored in the sandbox and should be deleted when the app is deleted. I wonder if there was a rogue app or two that was not cleaning up its own cache and the restore cleaned it up. I'll have to keep an eye on mine to see if I can see anything similar.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is interesting. From my reading of the developer docs, all of the application created data (caches, plist, sql databases, etc) are stored in the sandbox and should be deleted when the app is deleted. I wonder if there was a rogue app or two that was not cleaning up its own cache and the restore cleaned it up. I'll have to keep an eye on mine to see if I can see anything similar.

Could be, but I think its a weird iPod issue...since my iPod nano had the same thing happen...I had 2GB of "Other" on it and it doesn't even have apps. I had to refresh it to get full storage again.

OP
stever

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am fine now!
Thanks for all the help!

It is now reporting 2 Gb used.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lol I know, why do they always thank for the help but never say what worked.

It would be nice for others that may have this issue if you post what steps you took to clear the issue. Thanks and looking forward to the magical fix.

Most reactions