What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Love my Apple Pencil!

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Apple Pencil just ran out of gas while I was in the middle of a mound of math manipulation and I had to go back to an old fat tip stylus while the Pencil recharges. Ugh! How on earth have I survived using those things?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you plug it into the iPad Pro, it only takes about a minute to get enough charge to last another hour or so. Plug it in, take a quick break, go back to work.

I've gotten used to using Notes and the pencil to jot down numbes and info when going through the phone messages at the office. The other day I forgot the Pencil and Used my finger. Not pretty.

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
The Pencil has turned into a star! It really is an awesome thing. I use mine almost exclusively for general ui navigation. My fingers are obsolete. Infact i might chop them off, they're no use any more.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Pencil has turned into a star! It really is an awesome thing. I use mine almost exclusively for general ui navigation. My fingers are obsolete. Infact i might chop them off, they're no use any more.
Except for holding the Apple Pencil.;)

JUS_SAURON

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the pencil is great ... finally apple's own implementation of a stylus .I hope future updates give us different tips .One with more friction to emulate pencil on paper .

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the pencil is great ... finally apple's own implementation of a stylus .I hope future updates give us different tips .One with more friction to emulate pencil on paper .
I really wish they would have made it an OS X tablet so you could use the stylus with Photoshop & Manga Studio Pro and other full blown Pro Art apps. As much as I love ProCreate, there are still a few things it falls short in.

Reddrob97

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pencil looks like a great periphreal, but Im too paranoid about anything rubbing my screen Except my finger, lol.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Pencil doesn't leave anything on the screen. The tip is quite soft. Also, I put a Matte Screen Protector on mine to give the Pencil a little better feel, more like paper, and that works great. No change in sensitiity or accuracy. The Pencil without the Screen Protector feels a little too slick to me but with it, it's almost perfect.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
While the tip of the Apple Pencil itself is not going to scratch the screen of your iPad Pro; if you have any dirt or grit on the screen, it can be scratched when the tip of the Apple Pencil runs across it. You'll want to keep your screen as clean as possible while using the Apple Pencil.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While the tip of the Apple Pencil itself is not going to scratch the screen of your iPad Pro; if you have any dirt or grit on the screen, it can be scratched when the tip of the Apple Pencil runs across it. You'll want to keep your screen as clean as possible while using the Apple Pencil.

Well, the same thing applies to using a finger. If anything, I have a tendency to press harder with my fingers than the Pencil so I'd probably be more likely to scratch it with my finger than with the Pencil. I fully recommend putting a Matte, slightly textured screen protector on it if you're planning on using it for drawing or writing. It both protects it and gives it a much more "natural" feel with the pencil.

Andy847

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Get a screen Protector and you won't have to worry about the dirt or any marks on the screen. I've had the same cheap Matte Screen protector on my Note 10.1 for 3 1/2 years, looks terrible with all the marks from my S pen, but the screen is protected. I use tempered glass now on all my devices, because of What Scifan57 said. I want my tablet pristine in case I sell down the road. I overpaid to have a Zagg Invisi-shield tempered glass protector on my IPP, but I messed up two $11 ones trying to put them on myself. I just let Best Buy put one on for me. Yeah the glass is smoother, but I'm use to it now. In my eyes, Protection is important with these devices, especially with the cost of this one.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I really wish they would have made it an OS X tablet so you could use the stylus with Photoshop & Manga Studio Pro and other full blown Pro Art apps. As much as I love ProCreate, there are still a few things it falls short in.
If you have a Mac I'd suggest trying the Astropad app which allows you to use the Ipad in conjunction with the Mac--using Photoshop, etc. easier to visit their site or check out the app than me trying to explain. There are videos out there too showing it being used.

V.I.N.CENT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Astropad was the first one I bought and it doesn't work well with my Macbook Pro because I have a pre-retina Macbook Pro. It's VERY choppy and Pixelated and ultra slow. Even on USB. (Good excuse to get a new Macbook)

ThreeWulfMoon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Windows-based tablets for years and the Apple Pencil is hands down the most accurate active stylus I've ever used. It would s accurate and responsive. Ergonomically, the Pencil feels good in my hand, but I wish it was a little shorter, and had an eraser tip like many Wacom styli and the newest Surface Pen. It is a great accessory and future iterations will only get better!

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I love my Pencil too but am wondering what others use for the Pencil's storage or keeping it handy. Right now I'm using the black German loop on a relatively inexpensive case similar to Smart Case. I'm looking at the Moxie magnetic slip case also. I just keep my adaptor plugged onto a USB/lightning cable for easy charging. Sure would like something that protected the Pencil a bit but attached to Pro case.

Most reactions

Latest posts