What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a good messenger bag

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this.

My wife and I travel quite a bit and always find ourselves carrying on board more stuff than we'd like. I tried a simple little backpack which worked okay. But it's not what I consider as the best option.

I'm looking for a bag that I can hand carry or sling over a shoulder/body that will allow a padded area for the iPad/laptop and yet provide a roomy, not too roomy, interior pocket for snacks, meds, etc.

I've considered a Timbuk2, but I'm not sure I really want ballistic material. Kinda doesn't make sense to by a $50 bag for an $800 toy!

Thanks for any suggestions, websites or pictures.

thegreatone3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got a mini messenger bag from MobileEdge that I believe was designed for netbooks. It works great for the iPad and is great for plane travel! Lots of pouches for extras too.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope this is the right place for this.

My wife and I travel quite a bit and always find ourselves carrying on board more stuff than we'd like. I tried a simple little backpack which worked okay. But it's not what I consider as the best option.

I'm looking for a bag that I can hand carry or sling over a shoulder/body that will allow a padded area for the iPad/laptop and yet provide a roomy, not too roomy, interior pocket for snacks, meds, etc.

I've considered a Timbuk2, but I'm not sure I really want ballistic material. Kinda doesn't make sense to by a $50 bag for an $800 toy!

Thanks for any suggestions, websites or pictures.

Take a look at the offerings from Waterfield Designs (Need a case or bag for your laptop, tablet, mobile device, or gadget? We've got you covered - WaterField Design - Made in USA). The owner is a former bike messenger in San Francisco who started his business designing messenger bags.

Their stuff tends to be relatively expensive but it wears like iron. I've used one of their cargo bags for five years (half a million miles or so) and it looks as good as the day I bought it. From what I can tell, they're "Apple" folks and have a wide range of products for the iPad.

I have no connection to the company other than being a long time very satisfied customer.

P.S. You might be intested in the 10" Muzetto Messenger bag.

Last edited:
OP
tawcat

tawcat

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I really like both suggestions. I am leaning toward either the Timbuk2 Commute 2 medium or the Crumpler Hee Goer.

I really like the looks of the MobileEdge bag and the Cargo Bag from SFbags. My dilemma is that I need space for all the items my wife feels necessary to take aboard!!!!!

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Check out the Case Logic VNA series bag. Three sizes. I ordered one today from Amazon.com. Less than $21 with shipping.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I really like both suggestions. I am leaning toward either the Timbuk2 Commute 2 medium or the Crumpler Hee Goer.

I really like the looks of the MobileEdge bag and the Cargo Bag from SFbags. My dilemma is that I need space for all the items my wife feels necessary to take aboard!!!!!

When traveling, I figure it's always good to take a bigger bag than needed, in case I end up adding items along the way. That way, I'm less likely to lose or misplace something, as with multiple bags or purchases in store bags.

I keep my iPad in a sleeve that I can move from bag to bag, for more flexibility. I have four Timbuk2 bags, for instance, none with laptop or iPad compartments. It makes it cheaper to buy multiple bags and gives me maximum flexibility on what I carry, without built-in compartments. Sometimes, I use the bags without carrying my iPad, for instance. I have a sleeve that has a loop on one end, and I use a caribiner to secure it to the strap of my Timbuk2 bags, even though the sleeve stays inside the bag, just because I'm anal.

I sometimes switch out my iPad/laptop sleeve with this item inside my Timbuk2 bags:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZT89M[/ame]

It works great for road trips, because I pull the organizer out of my Timbuk2 and have everything I need without having it on my lap, and keep everything neat. When I stop for a meal, I just stuff the organizer back in my bag and go into a restaurant, rather than having to hunt all over the car to make sure I didn't forget something. I just took this on a cross-country road trip. It was handy to pull out my iPad along the way and tuck back in.

Last edited:

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tawcat said:

I have a Timbuk2 classic messenger (size small) which I had customized in their San Francisco storefront last year, with the now-defunct Snow Camoflage pattern, and I get comments about it constantly. Their bags come in various sizes, even their 'small' messenger is more than enough to fit a 15.4 inch laptop inside, along with a pile of other things. If it's just the iPad, I usually bring it along in its own neoprene case inside the bag, with more than enough room left over.

I have also looked at Crumpler - it's a very popular brand In Australia, obviously, and a number of people in my office own one, but I find they're overpriced for what they offer, and specifically to their messenger bag designs, I don't like the design / styling. But that's just me.

The other messenger bag I have comes from Stash Bags on etsy.com -- http://www.etsy.com/shop/mariforssell?ref=seller_info. They're handmade by Mari Forssell, and are offered in a number of sizes and patterns, although they're not cheap either. There's also a ton of other customizable messenger bags offered by various vendors on etsy.com, if you have the time to browse.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tawcat said:

I have a Timbuk2 classic messenger (size small) which I had customized in their San Francisco storefront last year, with the now-defunct Snow Camoflage pattern, and I get comments about it constantly.

Timbuk2 lets you customize on its website, too. You have the same options as in the store. The nice thing about visiting the store is being able to see and touch swatches, for those who like that. The fabrics are well displayed online, though.

Also, Sierra Trading Post's website usually has a good number of discounted Timbuk2 bags. I think they're usually discontinued styles or such, but they're typical Timbuk2 quality at a good discount. I've bought from that website without any complaints. After you buy the first time, they will offer even deeper discounts via email if you allow them to send them to you.

rsorbo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maxpedition carries well made tactical bags.
I'm thinking about the Lunada Gearslinger for the iPad 2.
Sorry, the forum won't let me post a link yet.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Timbuk2 lets you customize on its website, too. You have the same options as in the store. The nice thing about visiting the store is being able to see and touch swatches, for those who like that. The fabrics are well displayed online, though.

Also, Sierra Trading Post's website usually has a good number of discounted Timbuk2 bags. I think they're usually discontinued styles or such, but they're typical Timbuk2 quality at a good discount. I've bought from that website without any complaints. After you buy the first time, they will offer even deeper discounts via email if you allow them to send them to you.

I had an upcoming trip to San Francisco at the time, which is why I waited to get there so that I could check out the fabrics and colours in person. I was also there for just a few days, and they were able to get my design sewn up and ready to collect before I left. From a cost-saving point of view, you should only buy from Timbuk2's website if you're looking to customize, or for a specific design not available elsewhere.

I have looked on Sierra TP, because they sometimes have closeouts on limited editions, i.e. designs which are both unusual and cheap(er). If you're not too fussy about colours, though, some great deals are also from Amazon and their resellers (which includes Sierra) -- Amazon - Timbuk2 Messenger Bags.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maxpedition carries well made tactical bags.
I'm thinking about the Lunada Gearslinger for the iPad 2.

I remember looking through the Maxpedition catalog for a slingpack (looking for a camping/hiking bag, which I ended up getting the Gearslinger Monsoon), and I can absolutely vouch for the quality and durability of the Maxpedition line.

However, the Gearslinger series, including Lunada, are not messenger designs but backpacks and slingpacks. From Maxpedition, their messenger bags are Gleneagle and Larkspur, e.g.

9832DFC_detail.jpg

Links --
* Maxpedition Larkspur
* Maxpedition Gleneagle

You can get the item direct from Maxpedition at full retail cost, but you can also get it for 10-15% off (discount varies depending on colours) via Amazon and their resellers -- Amazon.com: Maxpedition Larkspur Gearslinger: Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I had an upcoming trip to San Francisco at the time, which is why I waited to get there so that I could check out the fabrics and colours in person. I was also there for just a few days, and they were able to get my design sewn up and ready to collect before I left. From a cost-saving point of view, you should only buy from Timbuk2's website if you're looking to customize, or for a specific design not available elsewhere.

I have looked on Sierra TP, because they sometimes have closeouts on limited editions, i.e. designs which are both unusual and cheap(er). If you're not too fussy about colours, though, some great deals are also from Amazon and their resellers (which includes Sierra) -- Amazon - Timbuk2 Messenger Bags.

Yes, I found a STP deal on a fabric that Timbuk2 was phasing out. They'd run out of the size bag I wanted, I searched and found it on STP, for a lot less than I'd expected to pay.

The bike messenger who started Timbuk2 sold it years ago, but he now runs Rickshaw bags, in case OP might want to check those out. Rickshaw customizes, too.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts