What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Locally stored maps app?

anonchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to buy a wifi-only iPad 2, but it occurred to me that a 3G iPad could come in handy since it would have true GPS. I would use the GPS while visiting countries where I won't have a data connection. My question is, are there any map apps that have the maps locally stored on the iPad so I can use GPS without a data connection? Is there any other way to do that?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to buy a wifi-only iPad 2, but it occurred to me that a 3G iPad could come in handy since it would have true GPS. I would use the GPS while visiting countries where I won't have a data connection. My question is, are there any map apps that have the maps locally stored on the iPad so I can use GPS without a data connection? Is there any other way to do that?

Welcome. The WiFi-only iPad doesn't have GPS because the GPS functionality is built into the 3G chipset. 3G and GPS use similar radio frequency (RF) components and, given that this RF circuitry is fairly bulky, it makes sense to combine the two.

In an urban area a WiFi-only iPad can determine its position by reference to a database of WiFi hotspots and base stations. But, out in rural or remote areas, the WiFi-only model will be unable to determine its location.

The 3G model doesn't need to have Internet access - or the 3G function enabled - to use GPS. As you suggest, however, mapping apps, such as the iPad's native 'Maps' app, download maps dynamically on an 'as-needed' basis. So, to use this app, you'd need Internet connectivity even with GPS.

However, some third-party apps, such as TomTom, download all their maps when you install the app, thus obviating the need to have Internet connectivity when using GPS. The disadvantage of these apps is that they cost serious money! The iPad's native 'Maps' app uses Google Maps and the maps are free - but you need Internet connectivity and you are probably paying for the maps to be downloaded on your 3G data plan.

Again - just to be clear - the WiFi-only iPad does not have GPS - you can purchase third-party hardware to enhance the iPad's functionality with GPS capability but the cost of this more-or-less outweighs any advantage you might get from the cost savings of purchasing a WiFi-only iPad.

Whatever you decide, I hope you enjoy your iPad. Don't hesitate to get back in touch with us if there are any other points that require clarification - I have a tendency to 'rattle on' a bit and it doesn't seem to make my explanations any clearer.....

Tim
Scotland

Skoonj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
anonchi said:

Take a look at GPS Drive HD. It caches the maps you use in driving to your destination. While connected to WiFi (say at a hotel or coffee shop) you clear the map cache, then use simulation mode to run through your planned travel. After doing that the maps are present in the cache and you can use them to navigate or peruse. Not a perfect solution - all map scales may not be stored - but I used it effectively in France, where my G3 reception was nonexistent except in cities. The maps themselves were excellent, even in Europe.

Also, when I had a question on a weekend and sent an email to the developers, a very kind worker who happened to visit the office that day sent me a helpful reply. I bought the voice navigation option, and have found it useful and reliable. I never pay for a Gps with a rental car now. There are other nice things as well as some bothersome quirks, but judge for yourself!

avon7

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, just tagging onto this thread - I am waiting to pick up my new iPad2 (WiFi only) here in Adelaide, Sth Aust. and was wondering what I was going to do about GPS! I thought I would use "Mudmaps", which on my iPhone3 does not need 3G connection to work on the stored maps - sooo I thought that it would also work on iPad. But you are saying the GPS chipset is combined with the 3G functionality and that would be a problem.... The idea of having to have a plan & SIM for both devices is a pain. I wonder if there is some way I can link the 2 together. I am travelling to Canada in remote parts in June and wanted to have some form of navigation without taking yet more electronic gismos. Any ideas?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's the same with the iPad. The GPS functionality is on the 3G chipset, but you don't need either a SIM or a plan to use GPS - as long as you've got locally stored maps. If you try to use the iPad's native 'Maps' app, that downloads the maps dynamically - as-and-when-needed - then you'll need some form of Internet connectivity - either via WiFi or via a mobile hotspot.

Good luck with getting your iPad

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts