What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Legal non-default repositories...

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey,

What are some good non-default repositories, that aren't illegal? I've looked at the ones in the more sources section and I couldn't really find anything that interested me. Are there any non-default repos that are legal and have reliable packages?

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried doing that bro. All I get are the illegal ones and the ones already in the default or more sources sections.

OP
T

TylerThomas

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That would be why I'm asking here for ones people here know about/use. Certainly there are legal repos that have reliable packages other than just the default sources.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they exist, Marilyn and f4780y will know about them.

To be honest, I would expect to find a sticky in the hacking section on the subject. The fact that there isn't is likely a good indication that either they don't exist or are very few and far between.

I'll shut up now, since I had no clue what a repo was until one of the other mods told me a couple of weeks ago.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a general rule, the default packages on Cydia are where all the action is, anyway. There are some private and beta repos, but they are usually short term or for those willing to risk a bit (betas can crash your iDevice and force you to restore ... or lose your jail break).

However, on the main Cydia page, there is a link to "More Package Sources." Saurik (the owner of Cydia) has provided that list, although, according to his site, you add these alternate sites "at your own risk ... we do not screen them."

So, there's that...

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yup, absolutely the same advice from me. There is no treasure trove of tweaks waiting in some non-standard repo. That would be completely counter productive. People want their stuff out in public, not hidden away.
The only additional repos I have in my list are beta repos to get pre-release / test versions of new apps and tweaks (BiteSMS is a good example on the iPhone).
You normally get the details of these repos from the developer when dealing with a problem. Everything else either comes by default, or is located in the "More Package Sources" section of Cydia.

Most reactions