What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leather or Polyurethane Smart Cover?

sanantoniotx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can't decide which one I should get. It is my understanding that the leather feels nicer (I didn't really like the slick feeling of the Poly..) but I have also heard that it can rub off onto the iPad. Also, color wise I find the red Leather cover the most attractive.

What is your experience with the covers?

The Hooded Claw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sanantoniotx said:
I can't decide which one I should get. It is my understanding that the leather feels nicer (I didn't really like the slick feeling of the Poly..) but I have also heard that it can rub off onto the iPad. Also, color wise I find the red Leather cover the most attractive.

I have the polyurethane one. It has a nice soft, slightly furry feel.

There's no one right answer, some people love leather, some don't, and some will be cost driven. Get the one that feels right, or if things aren't clear choose one and don't look back.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sanantoniotx said:
(I didn't really like the slick feeling of the Poly..)

It's the opposite for me. I've always liked the feel of polyurethane over leather. I have the smart cover of one and like it except the hinge is annoying when folded around the back. It makes it slide back and forth a little. At first I was going to return it over that but I've gotten used to it and will stick with it and not buy any other. Of course the hinge issue will be the same for either.

OP
S

sanantoniotx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish the price wasn't so high so it would not be such an investment. My main concern with the leather is it rubbing off onto the iPad. I read a thread (it might have been here?) about a guy who now has a partially dark blue iPad because of his leather case.

Broseph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like the colors that come in leather, (Navy, White) but seriously...i can't justify $69 + tax for a screen cover. Give me a break--not to mention the reports of the leather dye bleeding. Got the grey poly.

totemynote

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Broseph said:
Got the grey poly.

Me too. Aesthetics are not a major concern of mine but I do like the cover and the back of the iPad having similar hues. Understated yet elegant or whatever.

realistdreamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty evil black only comes in leather. I was pissed and got gray poly out of protest.

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd rather have the Navy leather but wasn't going to pay that price for it. So ended up with the Green Poly. So far I'm liking the simplicity of the Smart Cover.

dmaul1114

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poly for me. As much as I like the Smart Cover, and I like it a lot, even $39 was too much for such a simple cover. Much less $69. Plus there are reports that the dye on the leather ones can bleed off and get on other things (Apple even has a disclaimer about it on their product info page).

I wish they had better colors in they poly like black, navy etc., but the blue, green and grey poly ones are ok IMO.

ClemsonRyan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I purchased the black leather smart cover and have had no problems. I like the feel and how it looks, the cost was not an issue. This is the first I have heard about the dye coming off, I remove the cover when in use.

Breitling65

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Covers are not forever, get one than change to another. I got red leather and probably will get black as second cover.

madcapjim

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought the navy blue leather cover. I've seen leather bleed before so not sure If I will use it. I'll wait and see if the bleeding becomes widespread.

southpaw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Poly for me. As much as I like the Smart Cover, and I like it a lot, even $39 was too much for such a simple cover. Much less $69.

I wish they had better colors in they poly like black, navy etc., but the blue, green and grey poly ones are ok IMO.

I agree. It just seemed like a lot for a simple cover, and I am not head over heels about it, anyway. I don't like that the poly was just in light or fashion colors, but I got the orange (would have gotten green, but my Kindle has a green cover). My DH got the light grey. I think a medium grey would have been better.

MikeVB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the black leather which I thought would be fairly elegant. I bought leather over the poly because, well, I paid a decent price for the Ipad2 so I figured why scrimp and not get the nicest cover?

Other than the superficial -- and as I posted elsewhere -- the cover is an amazingly functional accessory. I wish I were the person who invented it.

Most reactions