What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Laptop Stolen...now what??

padwad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm a senior with little technical proficiency. My laptop was stolen. I synced my iPad with it. Now what? I have an old desktop computer with iTunes version 7.7.1.11. Can I carry on with that version and purchase new apps for my iPad? I don't want to update it because it is synced with my very old iPod.

Sorry to be so dumb! Thank you for any advice.

Gunny008

iPF Novice
Reaction score
padwad said:
Hi. I'm a senior with little technical proficiency. My laptop was stolen. I synced my iPad with it. Now what? I have an old desktop computer with iTunes version 7.7.1.11. Can I carry on with that version and purchase new apps for my iPad? I don't want to update it because it is synced with my very old iPod.

Sorry to be so dumb! Thank you for any advice.

Which operating system is it running? Windows 95/98?

If the operating system is too old, you might not be able to download the latest iTunes version, which is iTunes 10

iPad with iOS 4.2.1 as an operating system needs iTunes 10 to work

Was your laptop insured?

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If the operating system is too old, you might not be able to download the latest iTunes version, which is iTunes 10

iPad with iOS 4.2.1 as an operating system needs iTunes 10 to work

That was what I did - I had to upgrade from iTunes 9 to iTunes 10 in order to sync with my iPad (iOS 4.2.1.) I also use the same iTunes to sync and manage my iPhone and iPod, which are respectively about 1 and 2 years older.

Even if you could still browse and purchase apps from Apple through iTunes 7, without upgrading to 10, you wouldn't be able to sync and move the apps over to iPad.

OP
P

padwad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, and...

My operating system is XP . It's about 8-9 years old. I really don't want to change the iTunes version on it because my iPod (6 years old) only likes that version. I had a lot of issues with it when I used the laptop (iTunes v 10)but not with the desktop (v 7.7.1.11).

And no, my laptop wasn't insured. I have homeowners, but with a $1,000 deductible (of course...).

I hate the fact that Apple now thinks THEY own my iPod and iPad and are just letting me use it as long as I keep upgrading the OS because they keep finding more ways to tether our souls!!! I want a product that I just buy and use as I wish. Hail Corporate America.

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
You can always install Itunes 10 on an external hard drive or USB thumb drive and then sync your iPad with that via your older desktop. Your iTunes installed on the desktop's HDD should not be affected.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
XP is fine.... it will run the latest version of iTunes.

Michael

OP
P

padwad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks again

Thanks, Freebird. Good idea. I'll try it. Any idea how many gb's I need??

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FWIW the latest iTunes 10.x is compatible with all iPods

Most reactions

Latest posts