What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lagging / Freezing / IOS 8 ??

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:( I just Updated my iPad a few days back.. As in other Posts I've read Lagging / Freezing / Just plane not responding as previously.. What could it be ?? For me I find slow to respond to the touch, kinda lost the sweet spot if you will kinda thing..lol.. ie: On YouTube.. If I wanted to move the video along just tapped and moved the dot video & sound would continue instantaneously.. Now it doesn't respond right away.. Have to Tap around looking for that sweet spot..lol.. If it's me and something is out of sink or a Setting turned off. ... Please Tell ...Cheers. Thanks.. :confused: :oops:

OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try to reset it, using the Home and Power button. This could help a bit.

;) @ J.A. Tried that to No Avail.. Cleared Cache / Cookies / History.. I guess one of the Hiccups from Updating to IOS 8..lol.. Stumped, YouTube Not as responsive as before.. I'm thinking maybe a Setting got undone ??? And If so I'm Sunk where to look..:eek::oops:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way to have an influence on the reaction of the touchscreen, afaik, and also no setting to improve it.

Here's something you can try: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1827

If you updated over the air, erase the iPad and restore it using iTunes. Maybe this will improve the performance. In general, new software needs a few days to fit in, so hopefully it will get better within the next days.

Last edited:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe it has to do with your RAM. If you have background refresh on, try force closing ALL the apps that uses background app refresh. It's not necessary to force close other apps that doesn't have background app refresh on because those apps are automatically "freezed" by iOS, so they won't run in the background apps that uses background app refresh.

OR try a reinstall of YT instead. If that doesn't work, a restore should do it. Remember to back up before restoring.

xardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downgraded back to 7.1.2 just too much lag and general slow down of using the device (not download/upload speed). To be honest there was not a lot of difference in 8.0 for me to really care.

OP
NorPlan

NorPlan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I downgraded back to 7.1.2 just too much lag and general slow down of using the device (not download/upload speed). To be honest there was not a lot of difference in 8.0 for me to really care.

:( Was thinking of doing same.. Unfortunately I'm known to suffer the Fat Finger Syndrome.. Is there a simple way to Erase and go back ? :confused:

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its kinda confusing why some devices with the same generation works fine and the others work terribly. It must likely be how the user handles or uses their devices or maybe there is something wrong with their devices. I could be wrong.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Short answer: Stuff Happens.

Slightly longer answer: Computers are incredibly complex. It's pretty amazing that they work as often as they do. :)

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Short answer: Stuff Happens.

Slightly longer answer: Computers are incredibly complex. It's pretty amazing that they work as often as they do. :)

If something's working well and satisfies, given the nature of computer stuff, tends to make one hesitant to modify/update unless changes can be easily and effectively reversed.
Then, of course, there's always the 'latest and greatest' that's so dadburned tempting.

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If something's working well and satisfies, given the nature of computer stuff, tends to make one hesitant to modify/update unless changes can be easily and effectively reversed.
Then, of course, there's always the 'latest and greatest' that's so dadburned tempting.

When it comes to software, one should be aware that old devices may have difficulties running the "latest and greatest". Apple can't upgrade the hardware inside your device, only software.

I really want to know why some iPad Mini's/iPad 2's can't run iOS 8 fine, when other devices with the same generation works fine. In my opinion it has to do with how the user uses the device or what apps he or she is using, or its just bugs that can be fixed by apple.

xardoz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well lets explore the idea that it could be different models Cellular vs Wifi only, Max memory, and how about available memory.
My background: Member on the board since Mar 24, 2010 (I confess not active much except during upgrades to see what other folks are seeing) , I ordered the Ipad 1 within minutes of it being available online, same with the Ipad 2. I've not upgraded since because frankly my Ipad 2 has worked great and I've been patiently waiting, for something in the new ones to get me excited enough that I will not regret spending the rather large amount of money.
Here is my config:
64Gig AT&T Cellular model
Memory Free: 22 Gig while Running OS 7.1.2
Memory Free: around 16 Gig Running OS 8.0
Note: The Memory Free number is not exact comparisons because I did not look right before I upgraded It is the number now after the down grade, recall uninstalling/deleting some stuff to make room for the upgrade and the OS 8.0 number is what I recall when I looked at some point, it was likely not much less than that since I did not reinstall anything.

My comments about the slowness of the interface was while there was no apps open, but arguably there are apps I use that share my location always running...not sure how much of an impact that would have in slowing the device down but that and amount of free memory are certainly contributing factors to consider.. Anyone else that has made comments that everything runs the same or better want to post their configs for comparison? Of folks with same results (slowness) want to post theirs?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well lets explore the idea that it could be different models Cellular vs Wifi only, Max memory, and how about available memory.
My background: Member on the board since Mar 24, 2010 (I confess not active much except during upgrades to see what other folks are seeing) , I ordered the Ipad 1 within minutes of it being available online, same with the Ipad 2. I've not upgraded since because frankly my Ipad 2 has worked great and I've been patiently waiting, for something in the new ones to get me excited enough that I will not regret spending the rather large amount of money.
Here is my config:
64Gig AT&T Cellular model
Memory Free: 22 Gig while Running OS 7.1.2
Memory Free: around 16 Gig Running OS 8.0
Note: The Memory Free number is not exact comparisons because I did not look right before I upgraded It is the number now after the down grade, recall uninstalling/deleting some stuff to make room for the upgrade and the OS 8.0 number is what I recall when I looked at some point, it was likely not much less than that since I did not reinstall anything.

My comments about the slowness of the interface was while there was no apps open, but arguably there are apps I use that share my location always running...not sure how much of an impact that would have in slowing the device down but that and amount of free memory are certainly contributing factors to consider.. Anyone else that has made comments that everything runs the same or better want to post their configs for comparison? Of folks with same results (slowness) want to post theirs?

The only apps that can actually run on the background are apps using location services and background app refresh. Other apps that doesn't use it just stays "frozen" until you come back to the app, it won't consume battery nor memory. How many apps do you have that uses background app refresh/location services?

Most reactions

Latest posts