What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kudos to Apple on their backup and recovery strategy for the iPad

Stingray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I work in I.T. I'm always thinking about backup. I'm a fanatic about it, in fact. At home I backup my PCs to removable hard drives. I have 3 copies. One is always off site in case there's a fire. I'll never lose my photos, videos, etc.

My wife has an iPad and I take the backup of it seriously. So, periodically, I connect her iPad to my laptop and do the sync. It's my job, that's what I do.

Recently I had the occasion to do a restore on her iPad. A complete factory restore. I was a little concerned about doing this as I didn't know the impact it would have. I needn't have worried. The full restore puts the iPad back to exactly the way it was. All of the icons were in the right place. All of the apps were restored properly.

In Yahoo messenger it not only restored the login ID and password, it also restored all of the messages that were sent and received.

The restore was so seamless that nothing was missed or forgotten.

I take my hat off to Apple for making the backup and restore so complete.

pallentx

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Its funny, I am like you on all my PCs at work and home, but with the iPad, I hardly ever back it up. The Apps store makes it easy enough to get your apps back and all my media exists on the host PC with iTunes. Everything else I get to on the iPad is "in the cloud". I know the restore from backup would make everything easy, but knowing its still possible to restore without the backup makes me lazy :)

Ksane

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a fanatic about backing up my PC, too, just like you. But I'm with pallentx when it comes to my iPad. My PC and its back up images already have everything my iPad's got on it. And the Apple store has the rest :)

RobGil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi: Thanks for the back up info. I'm going to purchase ipad2 and need to transfer everything incding 3g. Will your backup method work as I switch ipads??
Thanks for any help.
Rob:confused::confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts