What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kindle versus Books ?

timmy toad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a new iPad2 for the wife !, I see one of the built in Apps is called Books, I have also "purchased" the Kindle App, i haven't yet Purchased any proper books for either App, i was thinking that maybe the books would be compatible with both, but of course that isn't so.

For both Apps i have so far only got FREE samples, so before i pay out any money i though i would ask the Membership's opinion which one is best ?.

tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay, I have both because iBooks takes my PDF books and has free books as well but tends to be more expensive than Kindle. Kindle is the cheapest for bought books but I can't put my pdf's on this app so I have the best of both worlds with both. I also have WH Smiths as well but it has had a lot of synching problems and is still not completely fixed but they have made your own book library easier to get to but the store is 50/50 chance of getting it so if you can get in. Are you in UK. I can't tell.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It mostly depends on where you want to buy your books.

iBooks app = iBooks bookshop and their (restricted) selection of titles and (higher) prices.
Kindle app = kindle bookstore and their (huge) selection and (better) prices.
Plus the kindle app is sync'd via Whispersync to the store and any other kindle apps you've got on the pc/mac/iPhone/iPod/android/kindle so that you can pick up reading where you left off at the last open page.
The kindle itself is a great device and if you ever get one your books will move across with you. I'm pretty sure the app opens pdf's since the device does but there's loads of good PDF readers so no need to decide based on that.

I'd probably use both since you'll be able to pick and choose between the titles and prices available in each store. The apps themselves are pretty similar and both have loads of free books available.

Also... Check out Calibre... Just saying.

Wolfpuppies3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Of course, iBooks reads all formats including

Kindle.

Shop wherever the price and availability work best for you.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have Ibooks, Kindle, Nook (Barnes and Noble), Bluefire, Stanza, Overdrive for library books,etc. I buy wherever the price is best but tend to buy mostly for Kindle as the price and selection is the best most of the time. Don't limit yourself--the apps are all free.

Reaction score
I only buy ebooks from Amazon out of principle.

Amazon's ebooks are not platform dependent. There are kindle apps available for the most popular systems, Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, Windows Phone 7 and Amazon is also working on a webbased kindle reader. With iBooks on the other hand, ebooks can only be read on iOS devices. I find iBooks too restricted. I may want to reread books purchased now in 10 years and who knows, if Apple still provides the best tablets by then. By buying iBooks ebooks, I risk running into a situation, where I have to purchase an Apple device, just to access my previous purchases, even though I may not necessarily want to buy a product from Apple. Ebooks are digital, the hardware should not determine, where I can read them. So far that reason do I only purchase ebooks from Amazon.

Reaction score
I prefer Kindle because of the whisper sync. I can leave off in a spot on my iPad and pick right back up on my phone and it does it automatically. That alone makes it the best thing for my uses. I can sync up to 6 devices
As far as prices, I'm not seeing any difference in price between iBooks and Kindle except that Kindle seems to put more on sale for less than the original price than iBooks does and drops the price on older books sooner.
Hope that helps

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

OP
T

timmy toad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wowee thanks a lot people, you have done me proud there, i am well pleased, now with a much clearer picture of what possibilities are out there, with what i have. Yeah Kindle on it's own seem to be better suited for my house (and missus).

I'm in the UK, nasty boy aren't i , i haven't filled out my profile yet LOL.

tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget there is a UK thread in international threads if I haven't said so already!

Jman09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only use the Kindle app as well. I like the Whispersync tech they use to sync across all devices and I plan to get a 3g Kindle in the summer, so the books I have now will be used on it also. I was using the Books app for PDFs, but since downloading GoodReader and iAnnotate, I haven't opened Books since March.

Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:

The last wikipedia chart, I am assuming that you are referring to that one, is a little misleading. What it says, is that Kindle ebooks can be read on the iPad, but it does require the Kindle app. Kindle ebooks are DRM protected and cannot be opened in other ebook readers, without first stripping the ebook of it's protection.

OP
T

timmy toad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't forget there is a UK thread in international threads if I haven't said so already!

Kool, i did not know about the UK section, i shall go and look for it right away, thanks.

tim

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I predominantly use Kindle , but I do also use several others, and like having the option. I have a few books purchased that are read using Adobe Digital Editions on the desktop and read it through Txtr on iPad. I use Overdrive for library books. I bought a book through Books a Million once, but could not get it to work on the BAM reader or Bluefire reader at all-kept freezing and locking up on both and have no idea why. I got my purchase kindly refunded which was nice. Kindle is never a problem, and is the one I prefer whenever possible for purchased books. Best selection and prices, too and can be read on multiple computers.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The good thing about Kindle is its portability. You can pull the books up on your computer, smartphone, kindle reader, ipad, etc.

iBooks is great for reading and storing PDFs from the web.

Most reactions

Latest posts