What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboards for ipad2

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Grandaughter is getting iPad 2 for Xmas would like to get her a keyboard what would be reasonable beside apple. Any ideas. Or are they much of muchness.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure what you're asking. If you're looking for a keyboard other than the Apple Wireless Keyboard, I assume you're looking for something less expensive. If that's the case, I'd recommend the Microsoft 6000 bluetooth portable keyboard. It sells for about $34 on Amazon and is an excellent alternative at half the price. Likewise, Targus has a good keyboard (according to reviews) and it, too, is available on Amazon for about $53. Finally, if you look at Logitech.com you'll find several alternatives for the iPad. One sells for $69, about the same price as the AWK, but it comes with a case that can be used as an iPad stand.

You don't say how old your granddaughter is but if you're looking for a smaller keyboard, there are also some alternatives. Haven't tried them and can't recommend any specific ones. I would caution you about getting "no name" keyboards that are readily available from many sources, including eBay. Good keyboards have a lot of moving parts and cheaply made keyboards often fail one way or another after repeated use.

P.S. You might want to look at the Accessories forum and search for keyboard threads. There are many alternatives discussed there.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Read an article this morning about a light weight overlay keyboard for the iPad which you can roll up.

Basically it covers the touch keyboard on the lower half of the screen and is due out early next year.
It's designed for touch typing so there's tactile feedback plus you can rest your fingers on the home keys.

That said I have the apple blue tooth kbd and absolutely love it :)

Redditch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought a blue tooth keyboard that also doubles as a case, made from aluminium, and very well made. just goes to sleep mode after a while and takes two taps to wake it up. Cost 28.00 pounds on EBAY.co.uk

OP
Macette

Macette

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. As my granddaughter is only 12, I wanted a cheaper version than apple to see how much it would be used and how well it would get looked after before investing in Apple. I had thought about the case type but thought it would not be very comfortable if she had to type a long essay. And as it would mainly be kept on her desk I thought an Apple size keyboard would be better, with a stand or dock for the iPad. I have seen some on amazon but it's hard to find a maker it's usually the sellers name like sold by King of Flash. As you said I might be better trying to get a known brand, thanks for replying everyone.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the info. As my granddaughter is only 12, I wanted a cheaper version than apple to see how much it would be used and how well it would get looked after before investing in Apple. I had thought about the case type but thought it would not be very comfortable if she had to type a long essay. And as it would mainly be kept on her desk I thought an Apple size keyboard would be better, with a stand or dock for the iPad. I have seen some on amazon but it's hard to find a maker it's usually the sellers name like sold by King of Flash. As you said I might be better trying to get a known brand, thanks for replying everyone.

With those requirements in mind, I'd recommend either the Microsoft 6000 Bluetooth portable keyboard (works well and is VERY durable) at $33 or the Targus keyboard at $51. I haven't tried the Targus but they make good stuff.

Amazon.com: Microsoft Bluetooth Keyboard 6000: Electronics

http://www.amazon.com/Targus-Blueto...N3WU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321800560&sr=8-1

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also use the Apple Wireless keyboard for both my iPad and when at office or home to text, mail or make notes on my iPhone. There are no better keyboards than apple.

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tbh the kid is 12, you ever seen how fast they text? the put speed typing schools to shame

i personally would not get a keyboard for a child at least until they have used the device, then i would seek their opinions 1st.

a good protective case made either by otterbox or my personal favourite griffin. ok bet some say it won't look 'cool' but neither do a broken iPads imho.

i noticed 'real american house wives' all of them had iPhones and ALL had coloured griffin cases, and beforeitis said, no i'm not 'sad', the program was on in a clients house ;).

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadbraincell said:
tbh the kid is 12, you ever seen how fast they text? the put speed typing schools to shame

i personally would not get a keyboard for a child at least until they have used the device, then i would seek their opinions 1st.

a good protective case made either by otterbox or my personal favourite griffin. ok bet some say it won't look 'cool' but neither do a broken iPads imho.

i noticed 'real american house wives' all of them had iPhones and ALL had coloured griffin cases, and before it is said, no i'm not 'sad', the program was on in a clients house ;).

edit fit typo

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Second the comment about how quickly kids pick up kbd skills.
Texting really drives them to master it fast.

Indeed make sure it's silent in action or the rattle will soon drive you mad.......

ipadbraincell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hasty said:
Second the comment about how quickly kids pick up kbd skills.
Texting really drives them to master it fast.

Indeed make sure it's silent in action or the rattle will soon drive you mad.......

Lol! When grandkids come over, they hook ipods onto my WIFi and away they go, look like a pair of Buda's, and if the wife starts knitting at the sane time - i know what being in the deathwatch beetle world sounds like!

Most reactions

Latest posts