What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping track of 3G usage

Thunderer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So today bough the micro sim for my ipad2 to have internet access all the time.

now my question is whether there is a way for me to keep track of my usage and also a way to send and/or receive smss.

thank you.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
'Settings', 'General', 'Usage' will tell you the net data sent and received over the cellular network. If you have XSysInfo that will tell you too. However, you need to be aware that this is the net usage, not the gross that includes all the IP protocol overheads. It's difficult to be precise, because this overhead is a fixed amount per packet and the net data in each packet will vary, but add about 25% to the net and you shouldn't be far off. Gross is important because that's what the network service provider will charge you for....

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Also, your provider most likely has a web site with estimated usage on it. It is always just a tad behind, but should give you an idea when you are getting close.

schmidtj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a iPad 1, am on a AT&T Prepaid plan and find the numbers reported by Settings->General->Usage vs the ATT iPadlanding site are very very close. Generally within 1MB of each other.
Just remember to reset the Usage counter when you renew your data plan.
J

dvmweb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use "My Data Usage App". It keeps a record on the app and is pretty accurate. We use our 3G with Verizon primarily.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
With Rogers in Canada, we have the app My Rogers where every stats is available. Pretty useful...

VicoPad addict!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use Download Meter app. This app gives you the ability to "budget" how much data you use everyday during the month.

OP
Thunderer

Thunderer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tnx all for your feedback. will look into the apps to see which one bests suits my needs, but the latest app adviced, download meter, is quite good as fromm what i have ad in the app store, there is no need to reset my usage every month, as it shows each month seperately. also, the fact that you can see the daily usage is a bonus + for its price is worthed.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

King.Khoja

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rogers App

With Rogers in Canada, we have the app My Rogers where every stats is available. Pretty useful...

VicoPad addict!

I got the rogers app too, I got a question maybe you can help me with. How often does the app reset to the data usage? It says 4 hours but when I do check 4 hours later it hasnt changed.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
King.Khoja said:
I got the rogers app too, I got a question maybe you can help me with. How often does the app reset to the data usage? It says 4 hours but when I do check 4 hours later it hasnt changed.

It can take more than that sometimes. I've asked about that issue already to Rogers and they would investigate. I also have the central flex at home for my home phone line and the Rogers app is also working with it. Pretty cool!

VicoPad addict!

Most reactions